Author Topic: art Bronze by ?  (Read 2840 times)

gerspee

• View Profile
art Bronze by ?
« on: June 19, 2018, 07:13:04 am »
Long shot question but who has some names off artists who could be the maker off this sculpture ? Looks unsigned but there's a lot off patina so maybe hidden . So any idea's please ? Thanks

mart

• View Profile
Re: art Bronze by ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 11:06:08 am »
My opinion is that this is not an art piece at all,,but is an end of the day blob that was poured into water to cool !!  Then could be used the next day and re-melted !!  One thing about art,, its intent is to sell and make money for the artist !!  Name recognition is important for the artist to get referrals and possibly more sales !!  Cant do that if the work is unsigned !!  So if it was ever "art" it was the only one made !! And that does not help the artist if there was one !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 12:17:46 pm »
Mart, that's exactly what I thought ….. and was bout to post said, ….. but then figured I'd be "badmouthed" for such harsh criticism. ;D ;D ;D

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 12:29:16 pm »
Seems like just a statement of fact. :)

With which I agree.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 04:04:09 pm »
Great minds think alike ??  I will take the criticism on this one so you two are in the clear !! 

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 06:31:55 am »
But the pieces are welded together so must be not just for the fun off the welding . Made some other pictures and maybe some better impression is given . Maybe a design for a bigger statue ?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 10:36:52 am »
When casting a “bronze” piece, the 1st thing one has to do is get their “mold” ready for pouring.

The 2nd thing one has to do is “heat” more than enough liquid bronze to fill the “mold” cavity “full to the brim” because you can’t do a “2nd pour” on the same piece.

Thus, you always have a quantity of liquid bronze remaining in the “pouring” ladle after the “mold” cavity has been filled.

Thus, the question, ……. “What does one do with the liquid bronze remaining in the “pouring” ladle?

Well “DUH”, …. you dump it out because you don’t want it to “harden” in the ladle.

And iffen you “dump it” in/on the same place as you did the last time, the latest batch will likely “weld” itself to the previous batch before it hardens up.

And looking at the 1st or 2nd photo above, ….. you can almost count the “number of times” a ladle of “excess” bronze was “dumped” during a work shift/day.

Believe it at your own risk, …… cause it’s just the result of my “logical reasoning”, given what i see via the pictures.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 11:09:32 am »
When casting a “bronze” piece, the 1st thing one has to do is get their “mold” ready for pouring.

The 2nd thing one has to do is “heat” more than enough liquid bronze to fill the “mold” cavity “full to the brim” because you can’t do a “2nd pour” on the same piece.

Thus, you always have a quantity of liquid bronze remaining in the “pouring” ladle after the “mold” cavity has been filled.

Thus, the question, ……. “What does one do with the liquid bronze remaining in the “pouring” ladle?

Well “DUH”, …. you dump it out because you don’t want it to “harden” in the ladle.

Seems logical and realistic.
The trouble with the "art is what I say it is" philosophy is that it leads to situations like this.

And iffen you “dump it” in/on the same place as you did the last time, the latest batch will likely “weld” itself to the previous batch before it hardens up.

And looking at the 1st or 2nd photo above, ….. you can almost count the “number of times” a ladle of “excess” bronze was “dumped” during a work shift/day.

Believe it at your own risk, …… cause it’s just the result of my “logical reasoning”, given what i see via the pictures.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 06:48:08 pm »
Totally agree !!  What good is art without someone knowing what it is and who made it ??  No good at all !!  Its just a blob of metal that no one wants,, except the foundry that made it !!  But due to the possibility that one of the workers intended to sell it for the copper content,,someone took it home with them !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 09:57:47 pm »
Looks like it would be a great piece to put in a small water feature/fountain.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 08:15:33 am »
Regardless of what it is or who may have been responsible for forming it, one thing it does is stimulate our imagination. And after all, isn't that one of the purposes of "art", whether intentional or accidental?

I can actually visualize some follower of the Brutalist School thinking this was a creation of merit. ???

Just a thought; maybe this was meant to be a part of something? Gene Bruno was known for his free-form sculpture, most of which were suspended in a frame, with a signature on the base.

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 03:15:41 am »
Whatever it is it's a nice thing to have and to think about what it could be  ;D And you never know what comes out ever about it  :) or not off course :-\