Author Topic: Ed Roos Cedar Chest dating  (Read 8863 times)

claudiaandsteveg

• View Profile
Ed Roos Cedar Chest dating
« on: June 27, 2018, 05:54:52 pm »
We have acquired pieces from my Uncle (2017 passing)and Mother's (2018 passing). Many different collectibles, furniture, China and more. We are now attempting to look into dating, and restoration advice of furniture we have endlessly searched for and come up empty handed.
We have searched for information on a Ed Roos Cedar Chest we acquired. Model no paper still attached underneath chest however it is difficult to make out what numoare. Uncle allowed someone to paint chest peach. I don't understand why but he did. We have some trim that needs reproducing etc. We cannot find anything on the chest or find chest similar. Can some please help us by viewing photos provided? We have many more photos if needed. Thank you.

SophieMarie

• View Profile
Re: Ed Roos Cedar Chest dating
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 08:22:07 pm »
Hello.

You are probably aware of the company's history since you have done your research.  But, to bring everyone else up to speed:

Edwards Roos cedar chests, commonly known Ed Roos cedar chests, are a vintage line of cedar chests manufactured by the Ed Roos Company of Forest Park, which operated from 1918 to 1951. The Ed Roos cedar chests were originally bridal hope chests and were marketed around the world.

I believe your Ed Roos Cedar Chest is model number 2317.  I don't know the exact date of manufacture but would estimate 1920's by looking at photos.  Others here may be able to give you a more precise date as I am not a furniture expert.  Here is what the chest looked like prior to painting.

https://www.ebth.com/items/2800267-vintage-ed-roos-cedar-chest

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 01:59:16 pm »
Unless you have a strong sentimental connect to this piece, it will cost you more to restore it than it has in value.  50 to 100 dollars for most cedar chests.  It was probbly painted because it had lost parts of its veneers. By the time pay for paint stripper,  veneers, molding, stain, etc...
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 07:27:41 pm »
I agree with SophieMarie and Pelady !!  There is little demand for cedar chests today !!  Now if you are keeping it for yourself you can spend a little more but not for resale !! 

Meilan Karter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 09:31:57 pm »
This is my first visit, and your blog has a lot of intriguing content, especially the discussions.

jordanlaris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 08:14:28 pm »
I'm a big fan of antiques, the bed has a pretty long history on the outside and looks nice too death run 3d

jennytrippi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2022, 10:07:04 pm »
Do you know its age? likely need the help of archaeologists, they need specialized skills, tools to evaluate stickman boost

stephanilope

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 08:05:46 pm »
You can recreate it but keep the original basic features
slope ball

rossderi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 10:05:54 am »
50 to 100 dollars for most cedar chests.  It was probbly painted because it had lost parts of its veneers. By the time pay for paint stripper,  veneers, molding, stain, etc... rossderi.com
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 10:09:02 am by rossderi »

nasrosteela

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2023, 09:16:00 pm »
This is my first time here, and I find a lot of the stuff on your site, particularly the debates, to be quite interesting.
https://www.ebth.com/items/2800267-vintage-ed-roos-cedar-chest/retro bowl

kuliah

• View Profile
Kuliah
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 02:50:56 am »
You have done a great job. I'm sure they will benefit from this site.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 03:43:08 am by KC »