Author Topic: Antique Japanese (Satsuma?) Plate Help - Unusual but foot rim shows age  (Read 1791 times)

DSky25

• View Profile
Hi all,

I ran across this plate and although the design, shade of blue and gold gilt are recognizable as Japanese, it’s odd to find on a plate.  I forgot to take a picture from the side of the plate but it is very lopsided and wavy, so it was hand made.  Any info would be appreciated.  Thank you!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Japanese (Satsuma?) Plate Help - Unusual but foot rim shows age
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 10:58:59 am »
https://www.antiquetrader.com/antiques/ceramics/the-history-of-japanese-cloisonne/

Hard to say Japanese or Chinese !!  Many Japanese Cloisonne and Moriage pieces were decorated in China !!  Not sure how that came about or if its correct !! Cloisonne was traditionally used for small items and jewelry !!   The wire work came first and then the enamel added !!  Moriage (raised enamel) also was used to accent the artwork !!  Yours looks to be mid century or a bit earlier and was made for export !!  There were so many artists,, no way to know who decorated it !!  Mat can probably tell you more about it !!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 11:02:49 am by mart »

JackieGlancy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 09:29:17 am »
Greetings! I've been reading your site for a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from  Houston Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the great job!

-------------------
SEO involves making changes to various segments of your website to improve its ranking on the search results of the search engine and eventually help in directing visitors to your site design firms in singapore. The backbone of any successful SEO campaign is a well-chosen array of keywords.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 07:52:44 pm »
Well,, Hello there !!  Glad you decided to join us !!  I am in NE Texas and our mod is in the DFW area !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 10:02:57 am »
Well,, Hello there !!  Glad you decided to join us !!  I am in NE Texas and our mod is in the DFW area !!

Sorry Mart, but I'm afraid this is just elaborately worded spam.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 11:18:32 am »
Yes,, I saw that yesterday after I posted !!  Didn`t notice till I looked at the second one !!  First one sounded good !!

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 08:38:12 am »
Hi, in my opinion this is Chinese porcelain imitating Japanese style, late 20th c. The black outlines appear to be printed.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 06:44:34 pm »
https://www.antiquetrader.com/antiques/ceramics/the-history-of-japanese-cloisonne/

Hard to say Japanese or Chinese !!  Many Japanese Cloisonne and Moriage pieces were decorated in China !!  Not sure how that came about or if its correct !! Cloisonne was traditionally used for small items and jewelry !!   The wire work came first and then the enamel added !!  Moriage (raised enamel) also was used to accent the artwork !!  Yours looks to be mid century or a bit earlier and was made for export !!  There were so many artists,, no way to know who decorated it !!  Mat can probably tell you more about it !!

Hey Mat !!  Finally got close !!