Author Topic: Books and Bookcases  (Read 4842 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Books and Bookcases
« on: January 25, 2019, 12:03:50 pm »
We're living in the time of the Twilight of the Book, and the decline of literacy that goes with it.

Well, I've been a reader and bibliophile all my life. They're not just a colorful decorating scheme for the home: books are living things, capable of imparting great knowledge and taking you to faraway places, all without flicking a switch. I love the look, feel, and.....yes....smel l of books.There's nothing like a book in the hand on a lazy winter day to let you know that life's worth living!

So instead of moaning about "these kids today," I'm going to celebrate this passion of mine by posting a few pictures. I hope you'll do the same!!

Here's a few words of explanation:

The first one is a cylinder desk only 33" wide, walnut ca. 1890. The books above include My Book House, O. Henry, Shakespeare, and Trollope.

The second is oak, been in the family since 1915. It contains architecture and art books.

The third is a pair of Globe-Wernicke oak bookcases, also ca. 1915. The books are Thomas Ligotti, Jim Harrison, Donna Tartt, James Crumley, art, history of American material culture and customs, etc.

Last is a walnut bookcase in the family since ca. 1860. It has presidential bios, Harlan Ellison, John Grisham, and WWII books.

"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
Re: Books and Bookcases
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 06:14:46 am »
Beautiful bookcases !!  Are the lamps B&H ??  Don`t recall ever seeing those !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 09:43:07 am »
Sharp eyes as always, Mart!   ;D

The first lamp is a Wilkinson, early electric ca. 1901.

The second (green one) is a Raynaud, 1924.

Hey readers!  Lets see your photos!!

-Broderick Crawford

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 10:23:24 pm »
Nice bookcases! Here's a pic of some of my old books

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 04:24:04 am »
Dang Skinny, you've been holding out on us!

Very cool. Some of those volumes on the left look Old with a capital "O."

Can you give us a rundown on some of those titles?

-Broderick Crawford

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 10:18:23 am »
Thanks! The oldest one I have is Platina's History of the Popes from 1505. I've got a neat old Spainish Illuminated liturgical manuscript from on vellum from the mid fifteen hundreds. Fernes Blazon of the Gentrie is a book on Heraldry printed in London in 1586. There's a book of bound Parliamentary acts from the time of Oliver Cromwell, and a book of bound Sermons from Boston in the early to mid seventeen hundreds. Lots of history, science and theology. There's a 1762 Germantown imprint of a book for teaching English to the German imigrants that I haven't been able to find any reference to online. Some literature, like the novels of Edward Bulwer Lytton and James Fenimore Cooper. These aren't rare, but they have very pretty bindings.

Lots of interesting stuff, and with a few exceptions most of it required very little money to attainine. It would probably cost a lot more to go the Barnes and Nobel and fill the same space with brand new books

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 10:57:36 am »
INCREDIBLE!!!!       :o

Do any of these qualify as incunabula?  Seems like the cutoff date for those is 1501?

I can't believe you got those for very little $. The 16th century books I see from dealers usually have a nice - as in high -  price tag.

Thanks for sharing. Little did we realize there was another true bibliophile in our midst. Nice collection.

Post 'em if you got 'em!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:02:49 am by ghopper1924 »

-Broderick Crawford

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 11:41:09 am »
You can get good deals if you know how to look for them, but this seems to be the case less and less as time goes on. Years ago I saw a big beautiful incunable that was fully rubricated and unbelievably still had the original blinstamped leather binding complete with brass clasps, corners, and boss in the center of the cover. It went through Ebay (not very well listed, as the seller didn't know what they had) and I found the auction just an hour or so before it ended.
It sold for around $450, which back in those days I just didn't have. We're talking about a book worth ten grand at least. Im still sad about that one.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 12:18:14 pm »
You can get good deals if you know how to look for them, but this seems to be the case less and less as time goes on. Years ago I saw a big beautiful incunable that was fully rubricated and unbelievably still had the original blinstamped leather binding complete with brass clasps, corners, and boss in the center of the cover. It went through Ebay (not very well listed, as the seller didn't know what they had) and I found the auction just an hour or so before it ended.
It sold for around $450, which back in those days I just didn't have. We're talking about a book worth ten grand at least. Im still sad about that one.

:(

We all have our "one that got away" stories but that's a tough one.

What's your favorite among all these cool volumes of yours?

-Broderick Crawford

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 04:10:55 pm »
It's tough to pick a favorite. If I had to though, I'd probably go with my Spainish manuscript. I love manuscripts on vellum, but most on the market are well out of my league. Athough this one was probably made over a century after the proliferation of printing, it still has something of the Medieval about it.

It's a book of Regulations and Doctrine for The Brotherhood of Souls in Purgatory. I believe that's how their name translates. I'll try to upload a picture of it if I can.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 06:21:26 am »
It's a beauty!

Well, hat's off to you, Skinny. When I started this thread I had no idea we had a true collector of the early stuff in our midst.

Thanks for stepping up!

-Broderick Crawford

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 04:57:44 pm »
My pleasure, thanks for starting the thread. Those bookcases you've got really are quite exceptional

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 07:59:32 pm »
Beautiful bookcases!!!!! 

I have been looking for one of the round ones that rotate around. 

The only old book holder that I have is the family dictionary stand - that is iron and wood.  They are becoming very desirable and values going up!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 01:29:17 am »
Beautiful bookcases!!!!! 

I have been looking for one of the round ones that rotate around. 

The only old book holder that I have is the family dictionary stand - that is iron and wood.  They are becoming very desirable and values going up!

Show us a pic!

-Broderick Crawford

JackieGlancy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 09:26:12 am »
We stumbled over here  different website and thought I might check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to finding out about your web page again.

-------------------
SEO involves making changes to various segments of your website to improve its ranking on the search results of the search engine and eventually help in directing visitors to your site what business to do in singapore. The backbone of any successful SEO campaign is a well-chosen array of keywords.