Author Topic: Mirrors - a great investment!  (Read 4475 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Mirrors - a great investment!
« on: April 13, 2019, 08:13:32 am »
Just wanted to share these pieces.  Antique mirrors demand a high price (and they do get the $$) if you have unique originals or novel items.   

$4,750.00   This is a "French 3-Way Triptych Full Length Mirror by ‘Miroir Brot’ Paris" original mirror from 1836 when it was a "new invention" for individuals to have a mirror that you could view yourself all around!   To this day we get spoiled in store dressing rooms to view ourselves in front and side/back views (however, with the mail order industry exploding it could become a thing of the past as well.)   :( 
27″ Wide x 27″ Deep x 71″ Tall (closed)    52″ Wide x 27″ Deep x 71″ Tall (open)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 08:15:57 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Mirrors - a great investment!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 08:18:29 am »
The second mirror that I wanted to share is this beautiful piece that is a piece of art as well.  It is a 1940s Italian Gentleman's Vanity or Dressing Stand selling for $7,475 on 1st Dibs (honestly I believe it could go for more in the right market.)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 11:56:17 am »
Wow !!  Very nice but not within my budget,, at least not for a mirror !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 03:45:05 pm »
Not in my budget either...but wanted to post in case people happen upon them!  You never know!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 06:14:10 pm »
True !!  Never know what you may find in the metro areas !! 

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 11:02:15 am »
Plus, those are some beautiful examples.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 12:38:31 pm »
At last!  A topic I can post on, though not large mirrors, just small ones.  I bought this back in the 60's in a Flea Market called The Peoples Store in Topeka when we lived there.  I think I paid a couple bucks for it.  At that time it had an ugly set of antlers on it.  Antlers that looked like they had been picked up in the woods somewhere and had laid there for many years before someone finding them.

A few years later I came into possession of a nice pair of Antelope antlers and installed them on the fixture.  We were really impressed by the quality of the mirror, its about 8"X10", beveled, and could be quarter inch plate glass.  Turned out to be pretty nice.

We want to change the motif of the wall it's mounted  on and want to run it pm Ebay but have no idea of what to ask.  Would $39.95 be a fair price on it.  What thinkest thee on this.  Thanks for any tips.   Jon

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 02:07:44 pm »
I think your price is quite fair.

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 07:16:51 pm »
I think its way too low !!  I would put $79.95 and see if you get any bites !!  If not try $59.95 before dropping to $39.95 !!  The only thing you are going to lose this way is time and didn`t sound like you were in a hurry !!  Horns have become decorator items and the vintage beveled mirror just adds to the unique mount !!  Be sure and put the spread of the antlers in the listing !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 10:59:13 pm »
I agree with Mart...that price is low!  I had $75 in my mind before reading her reply!  Guess crazy Texas gals think alike!

Is it a coat rack as well?  (Looks like hooks  - one that the hummingbird is hanging from!) 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:32:00 pm by KC »

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 12:23:59 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys and gals.  K.C., I think those may be for hanging your coat and hat (sombrero?) on.  I can't think what else they could be.  I'm going to have to get it down off the wall and try to determine if the wood is plywood or not, that would have an impact on what the asking price would be.  If it turns out to be walnut so much the better.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 07:25:33 pm »
Right KC !!  Another thing Jondar,, instead of waiting to post to something,,,start one !!  I am sure you have some interesting things we would like to see and discuss !!  You are part of this family,,,!!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 06:43:56 am »
Golly Mart, that's nice to know.  I'll try to check my stuff and post on a few of them. I may have some Civil War stuff to start on.  Thanks.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 03:44:06 pm »
Will be looking for them !!  Civil war is not something I know much about but I would sure like to see the things you have !!  Just watched on Fox business channel,, "Strange Inheritance" about a man who collected civil war items !!  He died and his daughter inherited them !!  Sold at auction for over $500,000. !!  See,,, you just never know about this stuff !!  Its a regular show on weekends late night and early mornings Sat and I think Sunday,,,its worth watching !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 12:03:05 pm »
Sounds cool. I've never heard of the show before.

-Broderick Crawford