Author Topic: Teapot filled at bottom with handle - Cadogan style but metal not porcelain  (Read 1714 times)

SophieMarie

• View Profile
Greetings,
I'm having difficult finding a teapot like this one, and needed some assistance to determine origin and date.  Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

cogar

• View Profile
Strange item to be called a teapot, unless I’m not seeing correctly.

A handle for lifting, a spout for pouring, but no lid for filling and 7 holes in the bottom/base.

If it has a functional purpose, it could be some sort of a condensing “vaporizer”.

Or maybe just “a work in progress”.

Rauville

• View Profile
I had a pottery one years ago, but have not seen a brass version. Regardless, I'm guessing the origin as probably India within the last few decades.

(Cogar; They can function as a teapot because of a tall inverted funnel inside that allows filling the pot from the bottom through the holes.)

cogar

• View Profile
Now that's pretty darn clever craftmanship. Would never have thought of that.

Thanks, Rauville

SophieMarie

• View Profile
Rauville,
I was thinking perhaps India too, but could only find porcelain and/or pottery examples.

Cogar,
I've seen these referred to as a "Chinese puzzle/Cadogan" teapot.  And, of course out of curiosity, I tried to fill it not quite understanding how it worked at first. Rauville explained it correctly. But, here is a visual.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
That is crazy interesting!  Never seen one before!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
New one for me too !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Only video I could find on "Chinese Puzzle Vessels" thought these two were interesting!
https://youtu.be/01DIRqLD3sQ
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!