Author Topic: Ivory Figurine  (Read 4076 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Ivory Figurine
« on: May 20, 2019, 06:29:11 pm »
Don't know much about this topic, so hope you'll be patient.

This guy was purchased by my great aunt (long deceased) in Japan on a trip in the early 1950s. I think it's ivory because of the smooth, heavy feel and the thumbprint-like Schreger lines visible in the base. Don't know if you can see them, but they're abundant in the second photo.

The piece appears to be signed "i H I"; I have no idea who that might be, nor do I have an idea of who this figure is supposed to represent, if anyone. Is it a mythical figure? A farmer? No idea.

There are cracks in each side of the skull, although they don't connect on top, and a crack in one of the legs. The figurine is 7" tall and the base is 3" across.The feet and legs are separate pieces, as is the basket. He's holding a butterfly on a twig. I assume the staff (bo?) is supposed to be there. There is a hole between his shoulder blades, to which a backpack (Oi?) was no doubt once attached. I hope that doesn't hurt the value too much.

Overall, I love the level of craftsmanship and will never sell this family heirloom. If it's ivory, it would be nice to know a ballpark insurance value, if any of you folks have an idea.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Ivory Figurine
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 03:41:51 pm »
The needle test is most often recommended - however, it can cause permanent marking.  Recommend you read this article on realorrepro.com about differentiating ivory from bone AND...other ways to determine the source.  https://www.realorrepro.com/article/Ivory-genuine-fake--confusing

What is in his hand?  From the top view it looks like a butterfly (with legs?)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 04:07:51 pm »
I've determined to my own satisfaction that this is ivory. It's called an ivory okimono, or perhaps just ivory figure.

Looking online, this one matches others from ca. 1900 in size and quality of carving, even if it isn't quite as elaborated.  I've seen a number that have sold over the last few years, and they seem to bring $1500 to $3000. Even if you assume that this one is at the bottom end of the scale, I think a replacement figure of $1500 is not too crazy.

And yes, that's a butterfly. It's sitting on a large twig. It's funny with this figurine, but the closer you look at it the more it rewards your scrutiny.

That's what I've learned so far. :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 04:12:10 pm by ghopper1924 »

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 05:05:09 pm »
Where did you find those prices ??

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 07:34:52 pm »

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 11:55:49 pm »
I agree.  The more I look at it more detail shows up.  The lifted foot, the detail in the clothing (pants), face brow lines, etc.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 07:44:03 am »
With the new ivory laws now in place, I wonder how values have been affected, if at all?

(Ghopper: Are you OK? Those storms must have been close to your neighborhood.)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 09:40:38 am »
Darn Rauville did you get my PM !!  Aren`t you in Missouri too ??  Or was I dreaming ??

Ghopper is fine as is his house,, he was out of town !!  But the Tornado  was about two miles from his home !!  I am sure he will fill us in when he gets back !!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 09:43:38 am by mart »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 06:04:29 pm »
Value for this type of ca. 1900 ivory figurine seems to be pretty high, even now. I would not be able to sell it out of state, but fortunately I have no interest in selling it.

Yeah, the tornado was in my neighborhood alright. Like RIGHT in my neighborhood! I was actually in town for the tornado, but left on business the next day. I heard the sirens go off, and the rain was sheeting down at a furious rate. However, I fell asleep because I HAD to get some rest before heading out. It wasn't until about 5 a.m. that I learned about the tornado. An F3, it turns out, since so many roofs were lifted off but most walls, at least the older, well-constructed ones, were left standing.

The devastation is horrific. The city was working on making East Capitol Avenue a historic district; the street has houses dating back to just after the civil war, and at least one mansion built by a former governor. Now they don't have roofs, and I can't imagine how they'll be saved. Much of the city's economic development in the future hinged on this area, the main drag between the capitol and the old penitentiary, both of which draw many thousands of visitors every year. I'm filled with despair over this. The horror of bulldozing these one-of-a-kind treasures, some of which have seen remarkable renovations over the last few years, is just intolerable. People always say that things can be replaced after events like this, and of course they can. People can't be replaced. But in this case, neither can these houses.

Gratifyingly, there has been a huge outpouring of volunteerism of all sorts, from prayers to boots on the ground action. And, amazingly enough, no fatalities. Chalk that up to social media and tornado sirens....they work! So grateful that Ms. G and I escaped unscathed, and that the casa is still full of too many antiques!!!

And thanks to those of you who've voiced your concern. You'll never know how important that is!

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 07:15:07 pm »
We are just glad both of you are OK !!  And your house of course !!  Although that is secondary to you and Mrs Ghopper !! ;D

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 08:50:52 pm »
Ghopper; Sorry to hear of the destruction to the area, but equally glad to hear that your family and what you hold dear was spared.

Mart; Sorry I missed your message No, you are not dreaming, we did own a house in the Ozarks for several years, but never got the gumption up to move.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 06:28:38 am »
Just glad everyone is OK !!  We need a "Disaster" forum so everyone can check in and say they didn`t get blown to Canada by some of these storms !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 11:07:07 am »
Ghopper:  Soooooo glad to hear you are doing well - so sorry for your neighbors/town.  It would be wonderful if some of the houses could still be saved even with a new roof on them! 

Mart - thanks for being the glue to the forum - holding us all in touch!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 01:13:05 pm »
Absolutely. Kudos to Mart!! She was one of the few to reach out, and we've never even met. She's a jewel!

I only wish every owner could rebuild. I did read an article where a couple have pledged to rebuild their historic homes, so there's a bit of good news in all this destruction. Oh, and we're flooding as well. Let's not get started on THAT  :o ::)

-Broderick Crawford

buenavides1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 07:58:34 pm »
All the details and the material that has been used for this piece is what makes it special.