Author Topic: Can someone identify this cabinet by chance?  (Read 5092 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Can someone identify this cabinet by chance?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 06:38:35 pm »
Its just a china cabinet but chances of finding the maker are slim to none !!  For items like this it is not important and does not add to the value !!   Its condition does !!  Good thing is its straight lines and very little ornamentation make it blend easily with many of todays styles and homes !!  Consider yourself lucky that you have a very salable item !!  If it had all the frou frou from earlier styles you might have to pay someone to take it !!

JJT

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 07:08:28 pm »
Its just a china cabinet but chances of finding the maker are slim to none !!  For items like this it is not important and does not add to the value !!   Its condition does !!  Good thing is its straight lines and very little ornamentation make it blend easily with many of todays styles and homes !!  Consider yourself lucky that you have a very salable item !!  If it had all the frou frou from earlier styles you might have to pay someone to take it !!

Gotcha. Its in good shape. It needs a little touchup here and there, but nothing major.  On the right side, the glass has a crack. But not bad.   I got it from a relative, and I'm not selling it, I'm gonna use it for the house.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 06:12:56 pm »
Use a little Old  English dark oil on it !!  Will blend all the scratches and make it look like new !!  Use sparingly and work into the scratches and buff  lightly  afterwards !!

JJT

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 06:17:22 pm »
Use a little Old  English dark oil on it !!  Will blend all the scratches and make it look like new !!  Use sparingly and work into the scratches and buff  lightly  afterwards !!

Sounds like a good plan.  It wont take much to clean up a couple spots.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 11:22:10 am »
Hi All! 

Sorry...have been out of sorts with all the storms and loss of electricity for days!

This is a beautiful library/display cabinet.  I would say it was from the late 40's to early 50's in style and appears to be American made.  These are still very desirable.

Can you please post a picture of the back side?  Any joinery items that can be seen?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

JJT

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 02:12:17 pm »
Here is the back.

What do you mean joinery ?  Nail?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 03:07:02 pm »
Thats right KC !!  Told them the same thing !!  Joinery means how the boards attach to each other but  there is little that can be seen on this cabinet !!

KC  You lost power in the last storm ??  Didn`t hear that !!  We did for about an hour but our Co-op is fast on repair !!  Swepco outage lasted a couple of days here !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 04:17:48 pm »
Mart, we have lost power 5 times!  The last one was the longest!  All people around us had power - but not not 3 of us.  So, a close friend who is a big whig with the electric company gave us the number of the head of outages who had it back on fast!!!! 

The back of this piece looks more like 30's to 40's - so I will stick with 40's without seeing it and getting a hands on!   Newer pieces use a solid board and not pieced like this.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

JJT

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 04:22:00 pm »
Very interesting about the back being one piece in newer ones.

Is there something you want to see that would help you determine more accurately?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 06:37:39 pm »
Thats about as accurate as anyone can get !!  When made is not important unless it is period furniture !    This is getting into mass produced !!  Is there a reason you need to know a closer date if you are keeping it ??

JJT

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2019, 06:42:45 pm »
Thats about as accurate as anyone can get !!  When made is not important unless it is period furniture !    This is getting into mass produced !!  Is there a reason you need to know a closer date if you are keeping it ??

No reason, other than to know what Im talking about when someone asks.

Furniture like this is not terribly common in Texas.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 10:44:17 am »
Ha !!  KC and I  are both in Texas,, !!  You are doing what most people do and looking at a single piece of furniture rather than an entire block of furniture from that time period !!  How an individual piece is made just depends on the company that made it !!   Other mfrs used different decorative accents from earlier furniture but they are all still from the same time period  !!  can`t date those pieces either other than to say mid century as most do,, 1940`s or early 50`s !!

JJT

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 01:58:09 pm »
Ha !!  KC and I  are both in Texas,, !!  You are doing what most people do and looking at a single piece of furniture rather than an entire block of furniture from that time period !!  How an individual piece is made just depends on the company that made it !!   Other mfrs used different decorative accents from earlier furniture but they are all still from the same time period  !!  can`t date those pieces either other than to say mid century as most do,, 1940`s or early 50`s !!

So you know what I Mean.  Furniture here sucks unless it was imported . :)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 03:33:43 pm »
"HA", ….. most of the antique/collectible furniture in Texas is imported. Always has been. They neither had the craftsmen, the "furniture" wood or the manufacturers to build it there.

Spanish themed furniture was the norm. 

At least that is what a "dealer" from Texas told me, who was driving a big box tractor n' trailer and was up thisaway looking to fill it up with mostly oak furniture and take it back to Texas. ;D

JJT

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 04:22:08 pm »
"HA", ….. most of the antique/collectible furniture in Texas is imported. Always has been. They neither had the craftsmen, the "furniture" wood or the manufacturers to build it there.

Spanish themed furniture was the norm. 

At least that is what a "dealer" from Texas told me, who was driving a big box tractor n' trailer and was up thisaway looking to fill it up with mostly oak furniture and take it back to Texas. ;D

Oh no doubt. I've never seen any good cabients or china cabinets in TX.  I've had to buy them in NY and bring them here :)