Author Topic: Joss Stick Foo Dog  (Read 3524 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Joss Stick Foo Dog
« on: July 06, 2019, 09:23:29 pm »
I have loved Chinese antiques for years and have my bedroom decorated with them. They have appreciated in value so much in the last couple of years that I rarely buy them anymore.

But last week I did. I was walking through an antique store, happened to glance down and saw this very old, hand painted foo dog looking up at me. I thought for sure it was a repro but I picked it up, looked it over, and took it straight to the counter to ask what they wanted for it.

It was part of an estate of a lady who was a world traveler, and hadn't been priced or researched yet. I told them I was seriously interested, so we got right on the computer and did the research right there in the shop!

It is a joss stick (stick incense) holder used on alters dating 1830-1850. They are typically larger than this one, about 6". Mine is about half that size. Foo dogs are in pairs, and this on is missing it's mate. A pair of large ones can be priced at several thousand, but they aren't selling. They are selling for $500-$900.

So we had one of a pair, no chips or damage, smaller than usual. I paid $300, which I thought was a fair retail price.

Sometimes an old foo dog just follows you home!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
Re: Joss Stick Foo Dog
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 10:17:28 am »
Great find Tales !!  What does it say on the bottom ??  Enlarging blurs it a bit !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 01:33:29 pm »
I am not sure. Looks like Leek?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 07:16:18 pm »
Couldn`t tell if it was lee,, leu or lev  K !!  Isn`t that kind of an odd  word for  a Chinese foo dog ??  And its written in English ??

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 07:24:59 pm »
Yes appears to be in pencil. I'm quite sure it was added later

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 10:39:43 pm »
Wow!  Great Find!

I know just enough about them to get in trouble - and know they are highly collectable.

I also believe this was written later as well - typically no writing on them but could have an imprint.
Most of the older ones are NOT totally glazed on the bottom.  Yours appears that way!?!

Look at this pair currently for sale in Dallas (which you can see looks more refined/newer!)  https://www.ebay.com/itm/123163497300  and these past sales:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123163497300
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-19th-Century-Chinese-Export-Famille-Rose-Foo-Dog-Joss-Stick-Candle-Holders-/223554593322?hash=item340ce4622a%3Ag%3AduwAAOSwa-Nc8bXo&nma=true&si=eY%252B%252B8WClZxuWxdD7i6dHYeMnD3k%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:46:06 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 07:35:18 am »
Yeah I'm in the same boat, I could tell this was quite old, but that was about it, then the seller and I researched it together and agreed on the price. Kind of a nice transaction. The small size is interesting, I'm wondering if it was designed for an alter in the home? Then there's the possibility that the mate to this one may turn up in another box... My hubby will make me sleep in the barn for a month, LOL!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 10:06:00 am »
What I find interesting is that it doesn't appear to be the typical Joss stick holder.  The "cup" on top looks as if it could/would hold a "cone" of incense or a candle.

If you get sent to the bard you could put a candle in it for lighting!   :D :D

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 02:02:12 pm »
Mmm, Careful  with that candle in the barn,, remember what happened with Mrs O`Leary`s cow !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 12:45:18 pm »
Mart, half of the people that peruse this site wouldn't know that story!  LOLOL

I'm getting on here hopefully once a day.  The guys digging for drainage cut the internet/cable lines and they can't get out for 2 weeks!!!!  (They should credit us 2 weeks worth of usage!)  :(

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 01:41:18 pm »
I'm pretty sure the hole goes all the way into the hollow body of the dog and at the end when the incense stick gets low, I think you would get smoke out of the mouth (would look very cool, huh?)
I will check soon. I don't have it in hand yet, I opted to pay for it in a couple of layaway payments and not have to pay any interest  ;D

An interesting note on Mrs. O'Leary's cow. Some of you might remember my ancestor who was killed on the Steamboat Jenny Lind? He and my 3rd-great-grandmother were married by a minister that married into our family by marrying my grandmother's sister. So he would be a 3rd-great-uncle to me. That minister went missing during the Chicago fire and no remains were ever found. That's a lot of tragedy in one family!

Definitely no flames near the barn!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 03:11:19 pm »
You are probably right  !! 
KC  If it weren`t for bad luck,, you wouldn`t have any luck at all !!  Good luck getting that credit !!

Tales,, you have had so much interesting stuff in your family you should write a book !! Seems like they have been a part of many historical events !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 03:08:47 pm »
Talesof, you have got to have some of the most interesting family history of most people I know!  Are you writing a book yet?

Mart, we do seem to have what most people term "bad luck" but luckily I was raised that we can handle everything that comes our way - attitude is the key.  Amazingly enough...what ends up being a major negative in most peoples' lives ends up being a positive/blessing in ours (just may take a longer time to realize it!)  As much as having our cable/internet out of commission for the next 2 weeks is an "inconvenience" it isn't the worst thing in the world!  Just have to organize my days a little better and make it here to the coffee house (which the employees are spoiling us rotten here - and developing better friendships!  Plus Plus!)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 05:36:07 pm »
Glad for that KC !!  As long as you can enjoy it,, its OK !!  I just use a Jetpack for the computer so no worries about underground cables !!  Can unplug and take it with you !!  Phone is a pain to use !!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 05:37:54 pm by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 02:54:28 pm »
Mart, that is a new one for me.  What is a jetpack?  (Something they have in East Texas that we don't have further west?)