Author Topic: Native gloves  (Read 3429 times)

MikeB

• View Profile
Native gloves
« on: March 25, 2020, 05:54:57 pm »
Hi everyone,

I was looking for some information on what I recently inhertited, location any history that one might happen to know. Of course I also wonder value if there were any rough guesses based on a few pictures.
These came from my grandparents but my father has had them for a while now before I inherited them. Sadly my father has dementia and can't tell me if he ever knew of where they came from origionally or whether or not they are all connected.
My grandparents lived in Victoria, BC at the end of their life but had lived in California, Seattle and Montana so theoretically these could have come from any of those areas as well my father was a surveyor here in BC so presumably they could possibly have come from anywhere here in BC but I believe they have been in the family for longer than for him to have to aquired them himself.
That is about all the information I can think of other than the hide the pullover and vest and gloves are made of to me look like deer hide. I have realized I can only post a couple pictures at once after I have edited them down to a tenth their size and cannot put them all on here so I am starting with just the gloves.
 It is my first post on this site so my apologies if I am doing anything not quite correctly compared to the norm.
I also have some older textiles but I haven't taken picture of them yet as I don't know if they are connected to these other items or not.
I am of course willing to take more pictures if it would help or is needed.
Thanks for any input.

Mike Boas

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Native gloves
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 09:15:59 am »
Welcome Mike;

Those are really a nice showy pair of gloves. My "rough" guess would be maybe Yakama, from the 1920's?

Here's some interesting reading: http://www.tfaoi.com/aa/7aa/7aa832.htm

Show us some more of your things.

MikeB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 01:29:55 pm »
Thanks kindly for the reply Rauville!

Interesting article you posted regarding them. I'll read through the whole thing here pretty soon.

Here are a few more pictures.

MikeB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 01:38:13 pm »
Quite the work went into this stool

MikeB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 01:40:00 pm »
Paddles. I think that's mostly what I have that likely goes together except the textiles which would be a bit of work to drag out to photograph.

Thanks for your input!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 02:06:07 pm »
MikeB, those are really great looking pieces.

Looks like you have enough to start your own "Early American Museum" or "Frontier Museum", whatever.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 07:44:47 pm »
Hi Mike !!  Yes they are nice,, haven`t had time to look closely at all of them !!  The gloves and some of the other items were done on a sewing machine !!  I am thinking about the same time period as Rauville !!  Now,, that being said,, Native Americans were making items to sell to tourists even then !!  Thats why the American flag representation and Eagle and banner rather than something from their culture !!  Will look closely at all of them tomorrow !!  Have been a little bit busy today !!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:46:58 pm by mart »

MikeB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 05:33:19 pm »
Thanks Mart,

That does explain why to me it looked authentic but the theme of the items looked wrong for what they would actually wear themselves.

I look forward to finding out where they came from if I can. 100 years old and still in good shape means to me they are still likely rare nowadays and likely quite collectable. I love old items like these but sadly I don't know much about them yet.

Thanks for the input.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 07:04:23 pm »
Hi Mike;
A few of my own random thoughts on your interesting items:

1. The jacket and vest would in my opinion be from the same area as the gloves. That vest fabric lining looks like something from the 1930's era to me.

2. The stool looks like a tent stitch needlepoint fabric. Maybe a homemade craft object from the 1930's?

3. The paddles look like Northwest Coast / BC area. Most of the red / black painted ones were made from Western Red Cedar. Probably the same general age as the other pieces.

Thank you for showing us your collection..

MikeB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 08:58:40 pm »
Thanks alot for the input Rauville!

Neat to hear where these things may have come from after seeing them around for so many years wondering.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 05:11:48 am »
Even now days it would be a rare “thingy” to attend a public event and not find at least one, per se, “sidewalk vendor” doing his/her damnest to sell “mementoes” of said event to anyone attending said.

And I am sure that merchandizing technique wasn’t invented in the late 20th Century.

So, with all the Wild West shows and Rodeos being held all over America, especially during the late 19th and early 20th Century, …… “sidewalk” vendors were ‘hawking’ all sorts of memorabilia, ….. old, new, fake and actual.    Yup, …… the ‘flea markets’ ……. and ‘garage sales’ of yesteryears.

During the Depression Years, ……… “apples” was a fresh selling item. 😊

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 08:07:03 pm »
This is a very interesting thread.  Love learning new things!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

MikeB

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 07:47:50 pm »
This item came to mind for this thread as well. I am not sure if it is in any way tied to the other items but I thought to include it here in case it was as the other pertinent information was already posted in this thread.

Thanks for all the input thus far!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 04:37:43 am »
Mike, please post the dimensions …… length, width and height,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 05:00:08 am »
One more thing,, can you turn it upside down and take a pic of the bottom ??