Author Topic: Glass Bell Cloche - Frosted Pink and Hand Painted  (Read 1144 times)

ITGal1967

• View Profile
Glass Bell Cloche - Frosted Pink and Hand Painted
« on: April 03, 2020, 03:35:15 pm »
I have a (what I think) is glass bell cloche. It is about 6" high. Looking for any information on age, location of manufacture and maker. Price estimate would be cherry if anyone has any information. Thank you!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 03:37:11 pm by ITGal1967 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Glass Bell Cloche - Frosted Pink and Hand Painted
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 05:41:57 pm »
A cloche was intended to cover something !!  I guess you do not have the bottom plate ??  Where did you get this piece ??
Can you feel the pattern on the outside ??  Almost looks like French Cloisonne !!  KC may know more on the possibilities !!
No way to know the maker  !!  Pretty simple pattern,, !!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 05:51:16 pm by mart »

ITGal1967

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 06:55:57 pm »
There was no plate with it - depending on what I learn I will try to match it with a period plate. The diamond pattern in the glass is raised. To be honest, my pictures do not do it justice. This was actually acquired at an estate sale from a family I have known for a long time. Unfortunately they have had several losses over the few years last year (the mother and two sons) and I did not have the heart to ask. This will probably stay with me and be handed down to my son so I can relay my personal history with it.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 05:05:30 am »
 Describe the "diamond pattern" ……. or a photo of it would be better.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 09:02:36 am »
Cogar,, try enlarging the top pic and look at the bottom of the cloche !!  You may be able to see it better !!  It looks like the leaves stems ect  were gold leaf at one time And just the flowers were enameled !!  That rosy color is just the base coat I think !!
Various shades of red/rose ect were commonly used under gold leaf !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 11:17:57 pm »
Beautiful piece.  You said it is 6" in height...what is the width of the piece?

It appears to be the same shape as a butter dome (typically 6" height and 6" across). 

However, as ornate as this is....my first impression is that it could have been a part of a vanity set (top to a loose powder dish). My grandmother had one that resembled a Butter Bell but was for loose face powder!  Wish I had her set.  Think she sold it in a garage sale that she never told the family about until afterwards!  :(

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:22:11 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 11:20:08 am »
KC  you may be right !!  Somehow the flowers just didn`t seem to look right for a butter dome !!  If you are correct it could very well be French Cloisonne !!