Author Topic: I recently came across this and I am finding it hard to find out what it is for  (Read 1885 times)

toomanymagpies

• View Profile
Hi from here
I recently came across this and I am finding it hard to find a thread as to what it might be and used for
Any ideas or thoughts
Thanks in advance
From Norwich UK

cogar

• View Profile
It looks to me like a "special" brush with the bristles missing (fallen out/worn out).

Vintage Barbers Dusting Brush

mart

• View Profile
 Victorian silent butler !  For removing crumbs on a table after or during a meal !  The top should open to allow the help to brush crumbs into it ?  Brush would have come with it but they can get bad and be discarded if bristles fall out !
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 05:01:28 pm by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Agree with Mart!  That or a Victorian Whisk Broom (missing the brush insert)!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 01:19:38 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
The object in question was made with a “loop” at the end of the handle, obviously for hanging it on a nail/hook.

The picture I posted above was simply done so to “show” what I believe the bristles would have looked like.

Rauville

• View Profile
Hi everyone;
(I'm getting used to a new computer, and trying to remember passwords. Been staying home and away from people. In fact I even gave up talking to myself! ???)

In regard to the item in question, it almost looks "soot" covered on one end. Maybe fireplace related?

mart

• View Profile
Fireplace instruments are usually ( like yours) uncovered !  Hope you et the new computer up  and running soon !!  I hate changing !!

Rauville

• View Profile
I'll be danged...who would have guessed? (Maybe a little more information would have helped.)

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-brass-horse-singe-singeing-246360346

mart

• View Profile
Ha !!  I have never heard of that tool and I have had horses all my life and still do !  Of course its an English tool so that could be why !   We need to get more info on these things !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I have never heard of one either Mart.  Must have been used by the Uppity Ups!

Here's a video explanation...

https://youtu.be/anJzsY5-feU
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
The one on your link KC had teeth on the edge !  I can see how that one would work but this one doesn`t have teeth on the leading edge !!  But its close enough to be correct !!