Author Topic: Antique sewing machine  (Read 1338 times)

Rhonda

• View Profile
Antique sewing machine
« on: December 15, 2020, 12:31:09 am »
Hello. I'm new here and have no idea how things are done so I'm just jumping in. I have an antique sewing machine I'm trying to identify. It has no name on it like "singer". It's a cabinet one with 3 drawers on each side. It does say Old Reliable on the actual machine. There's a number on it- 5127947 I think, it's hard to read.  It has a little plate that says Mason &son mfg. Co. And I looked up that but the only result I found said that was the company that made the, oh geez, it wasn't the maker of the actual machine anyway. I'm very tired right now so my head is kinda foggy, lol. I have looked at so many pictures of machines and I'm growing impatient can anyone help me? This is all new to me.

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Antique sewing machine
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 07:30:41 pm »
Check out the link below if you haven't already, and especially the third paragraph. Pretty well sums up the difficultly in researching some of the odd name machines. ???
http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/american%20sewing%20machine%20manufacturers.htm

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 07:34:04 pm »
A G Mason Manufacturing Company, located in Cleveland, Ohio (ca1903 - 1916).  All Mason's sewing machines were manufactured by other sewing machines companies.  & Son was another variation of the name. Many machines were decorated with different decals (such as yours).

Many of their machines were made by White.  If you look at this link about White - all of the names underneath on the page are names used by other companies on their machines!!!!
http://needlebar.org/main/makers/usa/white/index.html

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 07:51:15 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 06:35:26 pm »
White was a very good sewing machine !!  Mother had one and it couldn`t be beat for excellence !! 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 10:53:07 am »
Totally agree Mart.   White made good machines.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 06:00:50 pm »
No great value,, too many machines made for that and every household had one !  But good using machine !