Author Topic: by Jean-Baptiste-Siméon CHARDIN Framed Print  (Read 3062 times)

Bonniecat

• View Profile
by Jean-Baptiste-Siméon CHARDIN Framed Print
« on: March 13, 2021, 11:58:27 am »
I have this (and another)reproduction that I purchased at an estate sale a few years back.  I was wondering about the age and of course the value.  As stated I have two.  They appear to be from  a french gallery, the name on the back is blacked out, Galerie Spitzer,  probably because they say "reproduction".  They are on a canvas material and feel like canvas.  I don't know the first thing about them, I just liked them.  Thanks!  Joan
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 01:21:27 pm by Bonniecat »

mart

• View Profile
Re: by Jean-Baptiste-Siméon CHARDIN Framed Print
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 05:43:28 pm »
Can`t see  any of the prints well but if it says reproduction then it a gallery repro !  Many artists have prints made and lets the gallery sell them !  That many times pays the bills and feeds the artist until they become better known !  Cant say about age !  Hard to tell !  If the print has  a title you may find when the artist created it with a google  search !

Bonniecat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 07:02:50 am »
The original painting was done in the 1700's and the markings are mostly in french.  Thanks for the information.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 05:10:05 pm »
In that case,, the artwork is out of the copyright and is in the public  domain !  Anyone that wants can reproduce and sell them !

Bonniecat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 08:52:55 am »
Thank you again for your response.  I'm not so good at presenting a question.  Can an old reproduction be worth anything.  In looking at the back, it has many characteristic described in different posts about age.  It is very clear to me that these are reproductions.  I just wasn't sure when prints on canvas were started, etc.  It also appears to have actual "brush strokes" which maybe could be a clue to the age.  The frame looks old.  When I try to look these things up, I get lots of ads and advertisements to buy prints which can be quite frustrating.  I attached another pic and thanks for your information!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 06:31:06 pm »
Your pic was of the still life print !  Yes many reproductions also reproduce the brush strokes !  A Giclee print has been used sine the mid to late 1980`s !  However fine quality ink jet prints were used from about 1950 on !  From the style of your frame I would bet it is late 1950`s or 60`s !
Some can be worth a bit of money but it just depends on the buyer !  Still life was popular mid century but not recently !  It just goes in cycles ! 
Go to Ebay and see what still life prints you can find and check selling prices !  Not list prices !  Look on the left column and  find completed sales !  That tells what actual prices are !

Bonniecat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 04:06:30 am »
Thank you!  My guess was about that age but I am not familiar with prints so wasn't sure.  I thought maybe a newer print was placed in an old frame but I think you assessment is right.  I'm not looking to sell them as they are quirky and so am I, but I will investigate the value for fun.  I appreciate your time and information.  You've been so helpful!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 02:32:25 pm »
Am glad to help any time !  Please come back if you need assistance !  We are always here !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 12:22:48 am »
Nice job Mart!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 03:13:47 pm »
Hey KC !!  Whats going on in your world !  Get the repairs on the house finished ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 08:38:42 pm »
Nope.  Just got all torn out.  Waiting on insurance to come and view the damage.  Getting quotes to repair/replace 6 rooms.  But to get someone to come in and do the work will take many many months due to the sheer demand. The pool froze 3" solid (without electricity to keep water moving) causing lots of damage as well.   It's just time..........the good part is we are safe and had a place to go stay during it after we lost power/water.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 01:21:07 pm »
Our stock pond froze 5 to 6 inches  of solid ice !  Boy had to use an ax to get water for the horses !  But we had no damage at all !!  Just frozen  faucet in bathtub but had it thawed in 30 minutes !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 02:07:07 pm »
Thank goodness for an axe and an able-bodied person to get the water!  We had to go chip the ice off the ground and shovel to find grass for one of the dogs to go do their duty otherwise they weren't going!  LOLOL

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 03:51:21 pm »
Ha !  Dogs have a mind of their own  !  You should have been here !I have an 80 lb  chihuahua who is afraid of his own shadow !    And some of the elderly dogs that had to be inside at least at night !  Glad cold weather is over !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2021, 01:28:58 am »
I'm glad the worst is over.....however, there has typically been one more freeze before the End of May.  I giggle at the people who go buy annuals early and put out because they frequently lose them in that freeze.  The nursery's bank on it around here.