Author Topic: Antique bench. It's origins ?  (Read 5271 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Antique bench. It's origins ?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 08:11:49 pm »
Still a nice piece!

I would restore the eyes to original wood tone - that is unless you like that look!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

JJT

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 08:29:28 pm »
I never noticed the eyes were highlighted.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2021, 05:55:07 pm »
Anything for a sale !!  I agree with KC !  Fix those eyes !  Its not a terrifically valuable piece but just be careful doing it !!  As they are it looks too Gothic !!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 05:57:11 pm by mart »

JJT

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2021, 06:38:46 pm »
Anything for a sale !!  I agree with KC !  Fix those eyes !  Its not a terrifically valuable piece but just be careful doing it !!  As they are it looks too Gothic !!

Im pretty sure I will leave it alone.  The seat was reupholstered

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2021, 01:43:47 pm »
I was told a few things by the antique dealer

Yeah, I don't doubt it. Thing is, many dealers are generalists, that is they know a little about a lot so are likely to just repeat the story they got from the previous owner. While some dealers specialize in just one thing and usually know a great deal about the objects they carry for sale.
I don't remember this from Antiquers
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 01:58:10 pm by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2021, 02:33:29 pm »
Hey Jacon4,,, how are things with you ?  Any good buys lately ?

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2021, 02:43:16 pm »
No, but, there is a HISTORIC sale coming up, one of the finest collections of early American furniture in private hands this Jan at the Americana shows in NYC.
So I am keeping my powder dry till then, I'll NEED IT! as prices are likely to be in outer space somewhere, this guy had the resources to collect the best of the best.
There will be much more than furniture, silver, coins, early guns, early iron, etc. Should be a historic sale.
https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2022/the-william-k-du-pont-collection-important-americana-from-rocky-hill?locale=en

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2021, 03:02:25 am »
The Sotheby blurb on this sale, if it's half as good as they say it's going to be BIG!

"One of the greatest private collections of Americana ever assembled will headline Sotheby’s Americana Week in January 2022 in New York. The du Pont name is among the most notable and storied names in American history, and seldom do American collectors immerse themselves so thoroughly in the essence of colonial life.

Over the course of decades, William K. du Pont assembled a collection that is entirely unique in character and importance, comprising some of the best examples of Americana ever to appear at auction. The definition of a true connoisseur, Mr. du Pont was a devoted scholar and voracious collector, who was a prominent fixture on the committees of both the Philadelphia and Delaware Antiques Shows, among other notable organizations. Mr. du Pont also served for many years on the board of Winterthur, a picturesque estate originally owned by his family and now the premier museum for American decorative arts that houses the legendary collection of Henry Francis du Pont."

Sotheby’s will share additional details about the collection later this fall, ahead of our Americana Week auctions in January 2022.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2021, 03:10:26 am »
Bill du Pont died last summer in a freak tractor accident on his farm, he was 80 something years old, which is how all this came about.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2021, 03:55:47 pm »
Yes ,, I am familiar with the name  and the collection !  But,, better have a big, fat wallet !  Aint going to be in my price range !
Maybe a few of the smaller items will be affordable  for lower end buyers !

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2021, 05:48:26 pm »
I find I tend to do better at sales with many high-end examples, easier to slide out the side door with pieces that have less star power but still a very good example. Most tend to focus on outstanding examples, not sure that will happen at this sale though.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 05:50:09 pm by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2021, 06:01:29 pm »
I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you !  You may need it !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2021, 10:48:54 pm »
I'll keep mine crossed for you as well.  That is going to be one fun auction to watch!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2021, 06:18:01 am »
 "That is going to be one fun auction to watch!"

Indeed, even that brass bed warmer in the above photo that hangs on the wall is special according to someone I know who has seen this collection.

" The bed warmer in the photo is awesome...he told me he paid $10,000 for it and it is New England, having an engraved history of the life of Squanto. That I want! "
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 06:23:44 am by jacon4 »

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2021, 11:56:23 am »
This the first auction I've seen where they are charging an "Overhead Premium", in addition to the Buyers Premium.