Author Topic: Have a Seat....  (Read 1005 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Have a Seat....
« on: June 02, 2021, 08:58:56 am »
Just picked this up at an auction on Memorial Day. Again, it was an auction for an old St. Louis family that obviously loved the good stuff. This is walnut with needlepoint fabric; the fabric is not original.

Unusual for a Victorian piece, this one has been stamped with a maker's mark: "Hunzinger/N.Y./PatMarch 30/1869," so that tells us the who, where, and when. Nice to have that! I don't know about the northeastern U.S., but this is the first and only Hunzinger chair I've seen in my part of the Midwest. George Hunzinger was a prolific NYC chair designer and builder, known these days for his radical Victorian-era designs. This one is solid, and though it appears to be a folding chair, it is not. Not terribly comfortable, either, but I didn't expect it to be.

Similar ones on E-Bray are priced at $600-$800, so I'd insure this for $1200. Sound realistic?
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Have a Seat....
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 12:10:29 pm »
Beautiful piece!  I would definitely insure it for that at least!  These are getting more and more rare to see as people dispose of them not knowing history and/or going with modern styles.

Beautiful piece!  Ive always liked this style - does look as if it was a folding chair.  The woodwork is gorgeous. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 05:30:42 pm »
Great buy Ghopper but go for $1500. insurance !  Remember they usually pay less and you have to try to find another as replacement !  May not be easy to do !  Better to have a bit of edge on value !

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 06:38:40 pm »
Thanks Texas Krewe!  ;D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford