Author Topic: Question about Hibriten Furniture Co. dining room table and chairs  (Read 1839 times)

Drummerman74

• View Profile
Hello,

My mother recently left me a ton of old antiques and some furniture.  I have this dining room table set from the Hibriten Furniture Co. Not included in the pics are 2 extra chairs, and 2 extensions that equal 36 inches, making the table a total of about 104 inches.  The table surface is not in great condition, it does need a little work.  It is too big for my house or my liking, so was wondering what it would be worth.  In the future I will post pics of other things I am clueless about that she left me, but for now I would like this furniture gone.  Just not sure what it's worth.  The tag says more than one date, but I'm not sure exactly what the manufacturing date would be.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 10:31:29 am by Drummerman74 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Question about Hibriten Furniture Co. dining room table and chairs
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 06:58:02 pm »
Well, polyurethane foam was invented in the 1930s, despite the tag referencing 1920s regulations. Style-wise it looks later than that to me, 1940s or 50s possibly even later. Does your family have any knowledge of its age?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 11:25:45 pm »
Agree with Talesofthesevenseas .

The dates on the tag show the dates that required filings were approved/patented for their upholstery/items.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 04:06:47 pm »
Thats three of us !  Iagree with the others !  Not even vintage,, I would  guess 1960`s or later !

Drummerman74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 08:04:10 am »
Thank you for all your replies!  I have no idea if my parents had any knowledge of the age, as my father picked it up at a yard sale last year.  I just wasn't sure what to sell it for.  At this point it's just too big for their kitchen and I want it gone.  Hopefully I can get something for it. Thanks again!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 04:00:47 pm »
I'd say 1970s. Hopefully some mid-century type will latch on to it.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 12:08:07 am »
I am afraid dining room sets do not bring much. Lucking in my area if you could get $100 to $200 bucks. People are Eliminating dining rooms and using islands for meals.
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 05:52:44 pm »
Main problem I see with this set are the tall  backed chairs !!   Not comfortable !!  Glad to see you back Pelady !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 01:48:20 pm »
Hey Pelady!!!!  Great to see you back on here!

As for the area I am in - dining tables are still a BIG THING because of the larger Texas homes.  However, majority you see are being covered with chalk paint/patina/etc.  The kitchen islands are still popular as well.

This style would sell great in our area - we have had such a large influx of Californian's moving into the state - they are building whole neighborhoods with "California style" homes that these sets "updated" are looking wonderful in. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 08:53:47 pm »
I am afraid dining room sets do not bring much. Lucking in my area if you could get $100 to $200 bucks. People are Eliminating dining rooms and using islands for meals.
Yep, same here, they are knocking down the dining room wall to make kitchens larger. Formal dining rooms are on the endangered room list in the Carolinas! Naturally, that's putting a big crimp on sales of dining furniture. There are exceptions, period southern Hunt Boards do very well I am guessing because they are smaller and fit in but generally speaking dining room furniture is DEAD around here.

howardellis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 10:05:08 pm »
I also just bought a pretty table set, it has an ancient style with a slight Asian tilt, it's called a set of painted water chairs, its design is quite massive but suitable for a house made of mostly wood mine.
io games

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2022, 12:12:00 pm »
Hi Mart, KC, Jason,
Thanks for the welcome back. Do not have the time I used to check out the site … new teaching job.
The site also has so few new posts..! Glad you are all still posting!
PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2022, 12:51:58 pm »
Yep, kinda QUIET in here, no doubt!