Author Topic: John Henry Belter  (Read 1547 times)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
John Henry Belter
« on: April 07, 2022, 03:44:17 am »
Got this sale blurb from Neal Auctions and was struck by the number of lots ( 9) and the estimates which seem low. Naturally could just be a tease to get eyes on the sale and/ or all the lots are attributed except for a bed that is stamped, JH Belter. Unusual to see this many Belter pieces at one sale even at Neal's which kinda specializes in victorian furniture. The sale is April 9th, this Saturday.

https://www.nealauction.com/search-results?query=belter

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: John Henry Belter
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 05:56:31 am »
Incredible!!  I"m sure that bids will drive everything sky high, but still. Such reasonable reserves!!  Wish I could go...

Thanks for the post. Love it!!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 06:12:33 pm »
I can`t get the pics to show up !

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 12:00:57 pm »
I can`t get the pics to show up !

LOL, well toss that ANTIQUE puter system and update your hardware! What's your operating system, WIN 95?
Threatens to strike a match to Martha's stump!
Also, I am NOT getting any notifications on posts here, irritating!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 12:04:35 pm by jacon4 »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 12:57:20 pm »
Well, except for the bed which was stamped and sold for 18k, everything else was very inexpensive I thought considering.

https://www.nealauction.com/auction-catalog/spring-estates-april-8-9-2022-day-2-lots-198_O0JG8KCTCK?category=66MNH3RVXU&pageNum=1#B9D436F8DE

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 02:38:19 pm »
Doesn`t make sense Jacon4 !  Everything else on their website was fiine !  Just no pics !

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 02:56:47 pm »
Well, 1st link is dead now picture-wise because the auction is over but I was surprised at the prices, everything except the bed was reasonably sold.
Neal is the main auction site in New Orleans and although they feature victorian objects, every now & then they have early American, I got my Shaker chair there many years ago.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 04:42:07 am »
Shocked at the low prices. One could have had a "basic" Rosalie parlor set for less than $6K. Of course there's always shipping, which adds up.

Heck, even at $17K that bed was a steal. They rarely turn up, and usually go much higher.

"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2022, 05:49:09 am »
Shocked at the low prices. One could have had a "basic" Rosalie parlor set for less than $6K. Of course there's always shipping, which adds up.

Heck, even at $17K that bed was a steal. They rarely turn up, and usually go much higher.

Yeah, I was too a bit, shocked at those numbers, makes one consider getting a piece even if not into that style. So much for antique furniture being on the comeback trail price-wise. Those were VERY affordable numbers for an Icon in the Victorian style, particularly in New Orleans where there used to be very high demand for that style with the Garden District and all that.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2022, 05:59:50 am »
Yes on the shipping thing! It could have been a factor in the bidding, I got an education on shipping this past August with an eastern shore cupboard. It was THREE TIMES the usual cost and, I was lucky to get it for that number!
I'll admit I had grown very spoiled at USHIP.com over the last 10-15 years, it was cheap, fast, and very reliable. THOSE DAYS ARE GONE!
Another nail in the coffin of antique furniture prices perhaps? Shipping ain't no joke these days & is a major cost of anything that requires shipping large bulky items like furniture..
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 08:19:27 am by jacon4 »