Author Topic: 200-Year-Old Japanese Hina Dolls  (Read 821 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
200-Year-Old Japanese Hina Dolls
« on: December 31, 2022, 11:35:52 am »
After seeing a few of these I was intrigued,  after learning about them I was hooked. Describing these as "dolls" is really not accurate. They represent an imperial couple, and are designed to invite benevolent spirits to occupy their bodies and in turn provide protection for the little girls in the household. This tradition in Japan started with paper figures that were placed in boats and floated down a river, taking bad luck and disease away with them. They were never played with as toys. Over time, the figures becae more elaborate and became works of art that were handed down through generations. If you look uo Hina dolls or Hinamatsuri, the festival when the dolls are displayed, you can see som elaborate displays in Japan.

These two were made in about 1800 in the style in called Kokin-bina. The female of the imperial couple is called the me-bina, the male the o-bina. When I got them their wigs were long gone due to the iron in the old black dyes, so I made new ones out of silk fiber, as the originals would have been I made them removable, so as not to alter them from the original way they were. I gathered some tradional accessories and have really enjoyed them!

Antiqueaholic in recovery

Elekland

• View Profile
Re: 200-Year-Old Japanese Hina Dolls
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2024, 12:16:37 am »
I've always been fascinated by the intricate beauty of 200-year-old Japanese hina dolls. These delicate figures, used in traditional Hinamatsuri (Doll Festival) celebrations, capture the elegance and artistry of historical Japan. Each doll, meticulously crafted and dressed in vibrant, period-specific attire, tells a story of cultural heritage and craftsmanship. It's remarkable to think that these exquisite dolls have been cherished and preserved for two centuries, offering a tangible connection to the past.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 12:02:36 am by KC »