Author Topic: other methods to sell Oscar statuette?  (Read 1389 times)

EliteRides

• View Profile
other methods to sell Oscar statuette?
« on: December 09, 2005, 09:41:39 am »
I'm trying to sell a 15th anniversary Oscar statuette for my mother.  I posted it on ebay and had a lot of inquiries and watches, but when it came down to bidding there wasn't a lot of action.  I've had people e-mailing making offers, but I'd like to sell it through another formal channel.  Any suggestions?

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 02:07:07 pm »
Several years ago (before) eBay, I had a  piece that I felt should garner much more than I could have sold it for at a local hometown auction. I wrote letters to major auction houses back east asking if they were interested. I sent along photo's and told them what provenance I knew of the piece. Three of the 4 or 5 auction houses I wrote to were Christie's, Sotheby's, Butterfields and a couple others I can't remember. Christie's eventually email me back and was interested.

Having said that, I looked at your previous auction and believe it should sell for a lot more than the top bid you received. You can try the above. From time to time major auction houses will have movie memoribilia auctions and I would think they would be willing to place your Oscar in the auction, especially since it's pret near impossible to own a true Academy Awards Oscar.

If you want to try this route, you can look at the Antiques Roadshow web site and probably get addresses for major auction houses. I know when all was said and done we were very pleased with the outcome......good luck with Oscar

EliteRides

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 02:11:07 pm »
I am not "in the know" when it comes to antiques.  Is the typical channel to go through auction houses?  Of course I knew about them, but didn't know if there were also other online methods of selling things like this.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 07:52:03 pm »
Sure there are other ways. You can advertise in collectible journals, magazines, newspapers. You can sell on other on-line auction sites. A few of them are Loud Frog, Go Antiques, Epier, antiques for Sale or Trade, Sell.com. I'm sure their are others...........Ho wever....I my opinion..........fo r the best return I'd put the effort in the large auction houses. That's where the money is........

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 04:32:19 pm »
I think you forget how many Oscars there have been, never mind how many fakes there are, try holding a cigarette lighter to it, does it smell like plastic?? If so it’s a fake.

If you have some province couple quid, go to E bay you can buy them all night.