Author Topic: knife made in sheffield england  (Read 6281 times)

4jenny

knife made in sheffield england
« on: January 04, 2006, 04:32:27 pm »
I have recently acquired an old  pocket knife that was made in Sheffield and has a white handle with the picture of the Royal Family the knife appears to be fairly old.  I had an antique dealer that knew nothing of it "so they claim" but also said they would give me $7,000 for it.  So, my question is  is this maybe worth more?  Does anyone have any information about this knife that may be of help to me.  Thanks

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 08:48:18 pm »
and which Royal Family?  Can you identify who was the King/Queen?  It would help set the era - sounds totally intriguing.  And mostly - can you post pics?  KB

4jenny

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 11:33:53 am »
I believe the  royal family in the picture  are that of King Albert (who chose to be known as King George VI) and Queen Elizabeth and their two daughters Elizabeth (who is the Queen of England today) and Margaret.  As of right now I am unable to post a picture of the knife I am having it looked into from a family member who has it in his possession.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 03:53:39 pm »
you should take the $7000, its worth about £10 tops, have alook on E bay, could you then send your dealer to my ebay site

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 04:11:17 pm »
there are several commemorative pocket/pen knives on various auction/internet sites all of which in US dollars are less than $75.  The handle is white "plastic".  These were in honor of the 1937 coronation of George VI.  However the pic is of George himself and crossed British flags. Not a pic of the entire family.

There are other commemoratives of that time that have a full color pic of George - the Queen and the 2 Princesses.  

There's also a tradition of Royalty getting their own personal knives from a famous maker in Sheffield.  They actually pay - a nominal amount - for them.

For you to have been offered that much money it would have to have been a personal possession of the King.  In that case it may - or may not - need to be returned to the Royal Family or perhaps it belongs in a museum.  

There are also makers marks on these knives.  It can be searched.  Best wishes - I sincerely hope you have a one-of-a-kind piece.       KB

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 04:56:15 pm »
Thank you so much for the help.  I learned something new about this knife that I "forgot".  After calling my father (who is currently in possesion of the knife) he said that there are 5 pictures on it not 4 as I previously said.  So, that put an extra little "twist" to this.  He said that the 5th picture appears to be that of an older woman than both the King and Queen.  So, unfortunately I am going to have to put a temporary halt to my research until I have the knife in my hands again to look at myself.  (In about 1 week.)  I'll keep you posted.  Again, Thanks for the information you gave me.  Yes, I do hope that it is a rare find,  But probably not.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 05:36:00 pm »
Need help!  Anyone have suggestions on where I could even begin looking for information on these types of things?  I have checked Ebay...Nothing.  I've never collected antiques or memorabilia so any help is something.  I've inherited this pocket knife and have no info on it at all.  My luck it's probably worthless.  The antique dealer in my Dad's "little" town does not wish to buy it now and says it will take a lot of research (too much)!  So anyway, HELP!  LOL  

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 08:38:10 pm »
and are you the original poster?  with the Royal Family knife?  I'm a web researcher sort of person who loves antiques and collectibles - If you are the original poster I can perhaps give you ideas for further research.  

If you're a "new" poster with a similar item can you initiate a separate post so the answers won't get confused - mostly for me.  - I research lots of items both for forums and for friends -

I like to have maker of any item - pictures if possible - a bit of history if known - and together perhaps we can get an idea of value.  Please clarify and I'll gladly help.         KB

4jenny

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 03:39:30 pm »
Sorry, yes it's me the original poster.  I forgot to login.  Yes, any help would be wonderfull!  JK

kerryandbee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 04:03:55 pm »
for an item ostensibly worth $7000 there's no such thing as too much research - in my opinion - and even if it turns out to be just a souvenir - well,  research is fun.  

when you have it in hand, post back.  And can you identify the older woman?  His mother maybe?                  KB