Author Topic: Occassional Table  (Read 1210 times)

eliza61

• View Profile
Occassional Table
« on: April 10, 2006, 05:52:08 pm »
Hi, I am hoping someone can help identify the age and origin of my occassional table, it was in my Nans shed for years and was given to me when she passed away.  I believe the top of the table may be veneer but the legs are solid wood.  The legs are very interesting with their carving and claw and ball legs.  The top of the table is in poor condition with lots of chips and scratches.  The table measures 57cm high (22 1/2") andhas a 61 cm (24") across the top.

I'm not too sure whether to restore it or not, it is is valuable(thought it probably isn't) I would rather get an expert to do it and I am not expert :)

Also as I live in Australia it may be Australian but as we have had so many migrants over the years it could be English???

CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS OF THE TABLE
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 05:52:37 pm by eliza61 »

Tim

• View Profile
Occassional Table
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 07:35:59 pm »
I'll just tell you what I think then you can decide what to do and by all means get other opinions. The Chippendale style dates to 1750-85. They used this ball and claw cabriole leg that looks like a birds claw holding a ball. Originally comes from the Chinese whom depicted it as being the foot of a dragon holding a pearl he obtained from the bottom of the sea.

I believe your table is copy of that style, perhaps 1930 or so. It's in rough shape but can be salvaged. I would try to repair the top veneer as opposed to replacing it, trying to retain as much originality as possible. As is $125. Not a lot of monetary value but the sentimental and if repaired the monetary value will increase over the years.