Author Topic: 60 yr old set of encyclopedias  (Read 1168 times)

sweltybk99

• View Profile
60 yr old set of encyclopedias
« on: May 01, 2006, 05:42:44 pm »
I have a full set of Funk & Wagnal 's encyclopedias, last copy date shown in 1957. They are hard back books, in excellent condition, no tears, no bent pages, binding is all still intact. Mainly just looking to see if anyone knows the value, if any, of these books. Also, have set of 12 story book classics from "Educator Classic Library", purchased somewhere around 1965-66. Stories are (1)Treasure Island, (2)20,000 Leagues under the Sea, (3)Pinocchio, (4)Swiss Family Robinson, (5) The Jungle Book, (6)The Virginian, (7)Casebook of Sherlock Holmes, (8) Arabian Knights, (9)Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, (10)The Heroes, (11)The Call of the Wild & (12)Paul Bunyan. This set shows a little wear, but still in good condition. Any value ???

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 07:07:46 am »
As nice as they are there isn't a large demand for encyclopedia's from the 50's. Not yet anyway. The internet has helped that along. Most end up in thrift shops and live auctions.

The twelve classics are in the same category. Perhaps $2-$3 per book as they are excellent reading material. They could bring more if someone is looking for that specific collection. Most collectors are looking for the older original printings of the classic children's stories.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 08:35:06 pm »
Totally agreed.  I too, had a F & W set - I kept up the annual renewals until the late-60's.  My local used bookstore said no value - I burned them -  in my Earth Stove - I kinda' miss them - after all, a reference to Leonardo Da Vinci is the same today as it was in 1962.  But with the internet - - just takes me longer to get online, do the query, print out the data, etc.  BUT - much as I always loved library research - the smell of books - yes, smell, the quiet atmosphere, holding the book in my hand - - - I'd never go back - - but truthfully, I still love libraries.  

Missing the books, an era gone bye - - best wishes,  KB