Author Topic: Ex-Surrendered German Battleship Inkwell  (Read 1327 times)

ch010177

• View Profile
Ex-Surrendered German Battleship Inkwell
« on: June 26, 2006, 04:21:20 am »
I am trying to research an inkwell for a friend of mine.

It is a heavy metal inkwell / paper weight made to look like the gun turrets on a battleship.  Inside the hinged lid it reads 'Cast from metal' Ex-Surrendered German Battleship' "Helgoland" 'Thos.W.Ward Ltd Sheffield' 1922.

I can find bits a pieces on the Helgoland itself and pictures of the ship, and I can also fine information on the company Thos W Ward Ltd, but I am unable to find anything on the item itself.  It would be lovely to find out if the inkwell was mass produced or if it is quite rare and also any other information to tie it all together.

Anyone with expertise in this area maybe able to help me with this, I can take pictures if anyone can help please ask for them.

Thank you
Claire

« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 05:39:48 am by ch010177 »

Tim

• View Profile
Ex-Surrendered German Battleship Inkwell
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 11:16:46 am »
I'm no authority on the subject of your item. Here is some info that may help if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.invaluable.com/partnerpages/Lot...&UNID=215053684

I would venture a guess that there were many made because of the casting involved and the fact that this is (in part) of what the Thos. Ward Co. did, however I believe it is somewhat rare. How rare would be determined if it were to come up for auction........