Author Topic: 1880 photographer's proof book  (Read 1111 times)

snip

• View Profile
1880 photographer's proof book
« on: October 22, 2006, 10:58:26 pm »
Hello, I am new to this site.
Any info or suggestions anyone could give me on finding an approx. value on this book would be so appreciated. Or even the recommendation of the type of appraiser that we would need to find.
This is a large thick book of the Princeton College faculty and class of 1880.
On the cover is the inscription:  Princeton College  Class of '80  William Miller Jr.  
G W Patch is the photographer.  The following address is printed on the back of each photograph.
No. 841 Broadway  Cor 13th St  New York  Branches at Harvard and Yale  Poughkeepsie West Point Long Branch and Ocean Grove
 It is hard bound in good condition and has metal clasps that hold it closed.  It has the portraits mounted inside thick pages. No names are written but threre are photo #s on the backs of each portriat. In the back there are some misc photos of groups as would be found in today's school yearbooks. There are also several photos of the campus and buildings.
This book was found in the eaves of my friends house. It is very interesting.  Could it be worth enough that she should be storing it in a safer manner?  Many people have been looking through it.
Thanks
Nancy

Tim

• View Profile
1880 photographer's proof book
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 12:02:31 pm »
Hi, It does seem to be a photographer's proof book for that particular year. I would probably see if the University is interested.

As far as value, I would probably break it down. Original photos of out buildings, street scenes, outdoor activities, etc.  in that time era can bring $10-$15 each. The individual photos without names will normally bring less and I'm guessing $2-$5 each.

The photograph book itself $25.00??, should have some added value. Then added value when the book and photos are combined as one piece, adding another 10-20%??.  

Please remember I'm only giving as estimate here, without looking at what you have. Perhaps this can help determine a value.