Author Topic: lane cedar chest  (Read 3066 times)

nanny22

• View Profile
lane cedar chest
« on: December 04, 2006, 10:03:41 am »
I inherited a lane cedar chest from my mother who recieved it as a graduation gift in 1952 please help me find out the worth of it and should i replace some of the bottom wood that is peeling thanks

Lindaleelovesantiques

• View Profile
lane cedar chest
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 04:25:41 pm »
HI I too am new. I can't tell you what it's worth. My dad painted ours from the same year that was my mothers battleship gray he painted everything he was allowed that color ( he was a Marine ) after we grew up and took oiff the lid and his grandchild had the biggest toy box in town and loved it.Yours may be worth something log onto na site that will give you a free apprassil or look up one on a furniture store inside a place like e bay or any of them and browse like you're shopping put it in the search box and see what they're going for. You can find values all over the web by browsing antique furniture sites. If you go to google and put in antiques in their search box they'll find about a million sites you can 'Window' Shop' look at the items and prices but you ndon't have to buy. As for the bottom go to Lowes or Home Depot or some lumber place and buy a good piece of cedar wood to replace it or use veneer over pine if the vsolid cedar is too much. Find out the value first and the price to replace the bottom. As an antique when there is a piece replaced it usually isn't worth very much but sopmeone may still not bc care that only the bottom was replaced.If the sentimental value means more and it was a gift spend all out and get solid cedar.I was given my husbands 1921 Lane Cedar Chest wilh original sales reciept and lifetime quaranteed papers. I Keep all my pretty sweaters in there. Hope I helped. hope someone goes back about three weeks and helps me with my question.I have found out some things about mine elsewhere though. I have a well known china company anxious for pictures Plates are 9 IN. and were made prior to world war one but in 1920 when the bohemia pottery remade the orchid iris pattern it was a 10" and a 10 1/2" Prior to the war they were 10" The pottery has not made a 9 inch dinner plate or any plate that size far back to the beginning of last century and the curator is still not sure that they could go back further.We will keep one auction one off and donate one  back to the country it came from.Hubby says no but I think it is the right thing to do don't all of you? They belong to him so I think if we had a voting post that was positive to show him it might work.