Author Topic: Help me- Violin Antonins Stradiuarins...  (Read 1941 times)

Dora-May

• View Profile
Help me- Violin Antonins Stradiuarins...
« on: December 28, 2006, 07:56:23 am »
I have a 3/4 size violin that inside reads "Antonins Stradiuarins Cremonensis Faciebat Anno 1713" and a round emblem with an A S and a cross .This is with me for many years.It isn't a copy,I think.I live in Poland,this moment.Does anyone have any idea about it??  

Tim

• View Profile
Re: Help me- Violin Antonins Stradiuarins...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 11:03:13 am »
Hundreds of thousands of these copies were made in Germany, France, central and eastern Europe, England, China, and Japan, starting in the mid-19th century and continuing into current times – and literally millions exist today. They bear counterfeit labels proclaiming them to be by not only Stradivari but Vuillaume, Amati, Bergonzi, Guarneri, Gasparo da Salo, Stainer, and others.

You should have it appraised by an expert, and most such experts are members of the American Federation of Violin and Bow Makers. Expect to pay for the appraisal. The authentication of a violin can be determined only by a careful examination of such factors as the design, model, craftsmanship, wood, and varnish. It takes a well-trained violin appraiser to be able to attribute the violin to a specific maker or place of manufacture.

Don’t expect your find to be genuine. The odds against finding the real thing are slim to none. Nevertheless, you might have a decent violin.

findit

• View Profile
Re: Help me- Violin Antonins Stradiuarins...
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 09:41:13 pm »
OK. Here is a story.
You will appreciate this Tim.
We were cleaning out my parents attic. (~1984) My brother found an old violin that was not in very good condition.
He said to me "hey Ed ,come here, I want to show you something.." So of course I walked over, and he promptly broke the violin over my shoulder, right in front of everyone.  everyone laughed, until someone picked up a piece that said "stradavari, anno17xx"

We had an idea it wasnt real, but just in case, we threw it in the fireplace and burned it!

Only later did we realize how many fake "strads" there are out there.