Author Topic: W. Adams & Son's Meat Platter  (Read 1037 times)

mattman

• View Profile
W. Adams & Son's Meat Platter
« on: January 05, 2007, 03:02:18 pm »
Hi all,

When my grandmother passed away, I picked up what appears to be a meat serving platter.  It's roughly rectangular in shape and is made of some kind of ceramic.  The platter base color is white, but on the front (meat side) and back (or bottom) are images in blue ink.  The image on the back is small (the size of a silver dollar) and depicts a woman holding what appears to be a triton (or pitchfork) with a flag at the bottom.  There is a lion sitting at the left of the image, a sailing ship in the background, and she is propping up a sign that says "St. One (?) China  Isola Belle."  The name of the company that made it, W. Adams & Sons, appears below the image.

The image on the front side is large image and shows a young couple dressed in what appears to be 18th century clothing that you would expect to be worn by the elite of Europe at the time.  The couple is out walking on the grass next to an ornately built European-looking building.

The platter is rather dingy and is probably unsanitary to use with food, since the surface contains a lot of minute cracks.

Is anyone familiar with such a platter, or heard of W. Adams & Sons?  I am wondering if it is worth it to keep this piece if it cannot be used for serving food anymore.

Thanks,

Matt