Author Topic: Whats this water heater worth? Please help!  (Read 2781 times)

nesman00

• View Profile
Whats this water heater worth? Please help!
« on: March 10, 2007, 08:10:55 pm »
I would like to know the approximate value of an antique water heater from the Pittsburg Water Heater Co. The last patent date is 1917, and it is in great condition (all inside part present).  The seller is asking $600.00.  What do you think?  Any advise would be great.  Thanks!!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Whats this water heater worth? Please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 07:01:13 am »
they' made about 40 different model's. the fancier the better. I hope you don't intend to try and use it ? average value. $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 dollars.

nesman00

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 01:17:22 pm »
Not planning on using it.  Thanks for the help!!

antiqueguy11

• View Profile
    • Antiques Buyers Guide
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 01:30:25 am »
i dont think using it would be a very good idea at all :D
My website which is about furniture antiques, art antiques and pretty much anything on the topic of Antiques

lostnyc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 07:50:34 am »
I would like to know the approximate value of an antique water heater from the Pittsburg Water Heater Co. The last patent date is 1917,

Patent dates don't mean much, it only means 1917 was the last time they added a patent to that water heater model, it could have been in production for many years afterwards. The only sure thing you know is it is not older than 1917

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 02:10:42 pm »
patent pending or patent applied fore. indicates it's one to 3 years, from patent approved.

lostnyc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 05:30:56 pm »
patent pending or patent applied fore. indicates it's one to 3 years, from patent approved.

It depends, I've seen patent take ten years, maybe it was contested or held up by lawsuits. In this water heater's case the author said "The last patent date is 1917,"

Which means the design may be older but that actual appliance in question with the date stamped in the iron or engraved on a plate was made 1917 or later and could have been made in the late 20's or even into the 30's or later before the manufacturer discontinued the model, sold out, merged or went out of business. You wouldn't find the appliance being made in 1910 with a FUTURE date like patented 1917 stamped on it, and those made during the approval process would say "Pat applied for" or pending.

The last patent date only indicates the last time that model/design was altered in a major way, patents cost a lot of money and take a lot of time, and for a simple nothing of utility appliance like a gas water heater- basically a tank of water and a flame this is just not something that's so innovative or high tech it needed protection done on it every couple of years like the telephone did or computer software.
In my line of work a certain wood  part with a lead tip on it for wood organ pipes is made by several companies, the part was patented around 1901, and even the new ones made today by one company still carry that patent date stamped on them, so there again is an example where the patent probably long expired but they still put it on more for nostalgia than lawsuit probability since the part is so easy to fabricate a hollow wood tube with a rounded lead tip on one end nailed on, and several companies do.

As far as the water heater goes, I saw at least two yesterday on Ebay, one has a starting price of $9.95, I doubt these are in any way rare if the one time I look on Ebay there are two, but like all these larger items it's local
pick up only or pay $$ for crating and shipping.