Author Topic: Does anyone know what this is???  (Read 2250 times)

JayK

• View Profile
Does anyone know what this is???
« on: August 16, 2007, 11:54:05 am »
I've had this piece for a while and have no idea what it is, where it came from or how old it is....can anyone offer any insight??  I appreciate any help

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 02:55:37 pm by JayK »

SusanB

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone know what this is???
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 10:50:46 pm »
Just a guess, but to me it looks to be an Eames era "entertainment cabinet".   The Stereo would've been in components, and the top section would've held a turntable, so it would've needed access to the top.  A television could also have gone in the middle-The TV would not have been large, but would've had a rabbit-ear antenna.  What is inside the doors?  Shelving or open space?  What type of wood is it made from?

JayK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 12:12:42 am »
Susan,
I'm not sure what kind of wood it is.  Honestly, I'm not much of a furniture guru at all.  There are shelving units behind the doors.  I'm beginning to think that maybe this is a antique replication (from India maybe).  The doors are held together with wooden dowels and I can't find any evidence of modern fasteners anywhere.  On the underside, there's unfinished wood used for the framing that still has bark on it and I can't find any saw marks at all, circular or straight.  Thanks for the thoughts.

AntikJewel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 08:49:25 pm »
 the wood looks like black walnut.

Bags

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 02:42:35 pm »
JayK-

You stated that the drawers are made by dowel construction.  What other features can you point out that might distinguish its age?  How is it held together?  Is the wood connected by nails, staples or screws?  Is there any plywood on the piece?  Are there any numbers or signatures on the piece? Is there any ware from previous owners ie: fading of the finish on the handles or scratches on the surface where the TV would have sat?  Things like this can help to date a piece of furniture.  You are, however, probably right... it's very likely that it's a reproduction, and a beautiful one at that.

-Bags