Author Topic: 2 Clocks, A Silver Mirror, Charles Lindburg Portrait, & Lot's of Questions  (Read 942 times)

runswithcolors

• View Profile
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help and information.  I was given 2 clocks, a silver mirror, and a Charles Lindburg portrait.  I'm attempting to do some research online but I am getting confused as I am no antique expert.  As a matter of fact my husband wanted to throw one of the clocks away due to it's rather poor condition, but I wanted to know more about it as something told me it is a unique piece.  I would love to restore all of the pieces.  I will post photos however I do not have directory service at the time.  Give me two days top and I will have the photos available.

The first clock has an etching that appears to be colored in of the Smithsonian building in D.C.  The top panes of glass are broken, and we had to gently dissasmble the clock as it was on the verge of falling apart.  I was not risking damaging the intact etching.  I have all the pieces - the glass panes, including the molding that is missing from the the photos.  On the inside of this clock is a lithograph label of a train, below that stating the manufacturer Birge Peck Company of Bristol Conneticut with directions.  It is an 8 day clock.

Second clock is made by Southern Clock Company.  I am assuming it is rosewood, but I'm not certain.  This clock is in my opinion good condition.  The clock face has some wear, but the overall condition is pretty good in my opinion.  There is a very ornate gold etching on the front door with a crane at the bottom, arches, and an architectural element in the middle that is not in gold, but a red with some foliage. 

The mirror is silver with beveled glass edged.  Perfect condition.  It is in an odd seemingly homemade frame.  The frame appears to be made out of barn wood, and is painted red as in barn red.  Four oak planks support the back, and it has a name in large letters in the red paint.  Almost looks like it was done like this for a move or sale of some sort. 

The Charles Lindburg portrait looks original, done in charcoal.  The artists name is Charles Overall.  I am an artist myself and have not been able to research this name.  There is also an insert inside from to commemorate his flight.  Does not appear to be an article clipping but some sort of hand out.  Along the lines of 'The rest of the world told him it couldn't be done, so he went out and did it.'  I'll get the exact quote later.  It is in a solid frame, and framed well with paper covering.  It has aged, yellowed and has mildew spots, but is otherwise in decent condition.

All of these items had been locked up in a house in VA for nearly 50 years.  They have been exposed to heat, humidity, cold, rot etc.  This house was FULL of antiques.  Long story.  I have kept them outside in a shed that is weather tight as I did not want to bring them directly into a climate controlled home.  I have not attempted to clean any of these pieces either.  They scare me, and I have heard horror stories about people whisking things inside, or cleaning them with modern chemicals that will ruin a piece.  I feel bad leaving them in the shed, but it's better then nothing until I can determine how and where to get them looked at.  I have honestly ignored them up until we moved this weekend. 

If anyone can offer me any info I would GREATLY appreciate your time.   Like I said I will try and get photos up soon.  Thank you all!