Author Topic: i have a 13 star flag, all stars have 8 points instead of 5 or 6  (Read 1136 times)

imhispookie

• View Profile
My grandmother is direct descent from Custer. She has various documents of his - everything from tax papers, an 1812 land deed along the river, letters, newspaper clippings that were printed that she has the original pictures to, and other misc. items dating as far back as 1812.  What intrigues me the most is an old 13 colony flag.  You can definitely tell it has been flown, and has a few tears in it.  It is like the traditional 13 star flag, but the stars look like flowers. They have 8 points instead of 5 or 6.  The stitching is a thicker brown thread.  I know it could be Washinton's era or during later wars where they still flew the 13 stars. The wear on the flag, the ripples and tears, does look like it may have been flown. I know the 13 stars were used for many years and for many different reasons, so that is why I am writing to you.  I don't know who to go to, to find out a year estimate on the flag.  It's been kept in an old trunk in her attic in New York for years, and she had it shipped here to Arizona. She still keeps it folded up in old towels!!! I tell her not to do this, and that she needs to go somewhere where they can properly preserve the flag. I was curious as to the year of the flag. Does the 8 points instead of the 5 or 6 mean anything? It does look very old, I know that can be decieving though.  The stitching is done by hand, that's very evident.  With all the documentation that she has through out the family history, this very well could be an early example of an actual time period 13 star flag.  I've looked everywhere and I cannot find another flag like it. I'd have to go back and look how the stars are placed, it's not a circle pattern, I know that for sure. Most of the items my grandmother has, was her grandmothers. So that would run it about the right time. I would love to hear from you.     

nitelum

• View Profile
Re: i have a 13 star flag, all stars have 8 points instead of 5 or 6
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 04:42:44 pm »
send me pics at nitelum@yahoo.com..love to see it...Thanks Ricky Gentry