Author Topic: Harvest Table - 13 foot  (Read 2617 times)

djblue

• View Profile
Harvest Table - 13 foot
« on: December 15, 2007, 07:12:44 pm »
What value does this table have as an antique, if any?

It came from a mansion on Long Island New York. I think it was prep table in the kitchen? In the mansion, the kitchen was in the basement and the servants brought the food to the dining room upstairs.

It measures about 13 feet long. The table top is a single solid piece of wood -- one plank. I'm not sure what kind of wood, but  I don't think it's hardwood. The table used to have 6 legs, the two middle ones were cut off. Even with four, it is quite strong. One of the feet has some rot.

The table has never been refinished. But it has taken some abuse, and is weathered.

I'm torn between keeping it and selling it. If I do want to sell it, where do you suggest I post an ad and how much should I ask for it?

I appreciate any advice members have to share. I've posted some pictures below.

pinkpigdebb

• View Profile
    • Pink Pig
Re: Harvest Table - 13 foot
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 11:14:13 am »
that is one outstanding table.  very hard to come by and very much in demand.    i suggest contacting local antique dealers in your area to give you a price should you decide to sell.  Do some research on the interenet of where tables of this size have sold.  look at www.goantiques.com                where are you located

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:29:30 pm »
A beautiful table indeed. The solid, one piece top alone is worthy of a decent price but it's too bad the center legs were not retained, restored or kept in place. Shipping will be a problem but it's a beautiful piece indeed. Let me know if your close to Kansas.

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 05:43:56 pm »
That top is great! I love seeing those big pieces of wood like that. It unusual and just peculiar enough to be neat.

I agree with Tim, its a shame the center legs are gone.. but I suppose some more could be turned in that style easily enough.
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events