Author Topic: Limoges China  (Read 4183 times)

KNMBART

• View Profile
Limoges China
« on: August 17, 2003, 01:04:16 pm »
We have aquired what we believe is forth generation china from Limoges, France.  It was made by G.D.& C.It appears to have been made for the Giles W. Quarles Co.  Baltimore.  I would appreciate any help in identifing it's value and age. Thanks,  KB

castleantiques

Limoges China
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 08:40:49 am »
:rolleyes: I would suggest going to Barnes & Noble Bookstore or the local Library and research in the Limoges Books which show marks.  I personally have purchased a Limoges book from Barnes & Noble which is very complete, easy to understand, 456 pages in color. It gives the history of each Limoges company, shows marks, wonderful glossy pages & values of each item.   Name of Book is:  Collectors Encyclopedia of Limoges Porcelain, Third Edition. By Mary Frank Gaston.  It costs around $30, yet if you check amazon.com on the internet, they might have one cheaper you can purchase.  

Your mark has to be described in detail for me to help you with my book.  The initials stand for Demartial & Tallandier (D.T.)/Gustave Demartial.  (G.D.& Co.) These letters are hand written, underlined & with the word LIMOGES in caps underneath. Used on whiteware porcelain ca. 1883-1893.  OR your mark could possibly be G.D.& Cie which stands for G.Demartine & Cie. There are two marks for this. GD & Cie, underglaze white ware mark in green, underlined with the words LIMOGES FRANCE underneath. ca. 1891-early 1900. Second Mark is Overglaze decorating mark in blue-green with "Avenir" printed inside a circle. ca 1891-early 1900.

I cannot give you values. I can only say that the better values are extended to those in near mint condition. The more gold and ornate it is, the better. However, much early Limoges is solid white.  I think the book will enlighten you with its detailed thousands of pictures showing Victorian scenes on porcelain, floral vases, Tea Sets, Chocolate Pot Sets, Dinnerware, Biscuit Jars, Dresser Trays, Compotes, Pitchers, Wall Plates, Chargers, Mustache Mugs, etc.  I highly recommend the book.  It helped me become a Limoges collector and appreciate the age of some of my porcelain.  

If you want to contact me, my email address is castle_antiques@earthlink.net

Good Luck