Author Topic: Antique Banjo Clock  (Read 2513 times)

jwgoldsberry

• View Profile
Antique Banjo Clock
« on: June 02, 2008, 11:24:51 pm »
                                                                                 2 June 2008

I have an Antique Banjo Clock, it was made in Bristol Conn. By the Ingraham
     Company, at present it does not run because it was wound to tight. I'm sure it
     can be repaired. This is an eight day clock, can anyone give me an idea of its value?

Jim Goldsberry

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Antique Banjo Clock
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 02:58:43 am »
jw, "does not run because it was wound to tight" ....... is really a wrong diagnosis ...... even though most people think that is the problem.

Actually, when a clock stops working everyone assumes it needs "winding" ...... and gives or tries to give the "winder" another twist. :'(

The most common problem with old clocks is that the oil/lubricant on the gear shaft(s) has dried up, ...... got gooey or sticky, ..... and is no longer oily or slippery. Especially the "shaft in shaft" that turns the hour/minute hands.

Now I have fixed many such problems by "cleaning away the crud" with Lighter Fluid and then re-oiling with 3-in1 Oil, ...... or by using a Q-tip to apply WD-40 to the gears and shafts. The WD-40 "cleans & lubricates" in one operation.

don1936

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 03:42:21 pm »
                                                                                 2 June 2008

I have an Antique Banjo Clock, it was made in Bristol Conn. By the Ingraham
     Company, at present it does not run because it was wound to tight. I'm sure it
     can be repaired. This is an eight day clock, can anyone give me an idea of its value?

Jim Goldsberry
Built in early 1930's.  Running, worth about 85-100 dollars. Not overwound, just dirty and needs oiling.
Don't use WD40, lighter fluid, or 3in1 oil.  Take to clock repairman and have it done right.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 04:49:31 am »
But Don, if it is only worth about 85-100 dollars, ...... just how much is it going to cost  ::) for a clock repairman to take the works out, .... soak them in solvent, .... re-oil them .... and replace them in the clock? ;D

don1936

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 09:26:19 am »
But Don, if it is only worth about 85-100 dollars, ...... just how much is it going to cost  ::) for a clock repairman to take the works out, .... soak them in solvent, .... re-oil them .... and replace them in the clock? ;D

I gave up the business about 15 yrs ago & at that time I charged 30-35 dollars. If it's cleaned properly, it should run for another 50 years & at that time the value will be up. It's an antique and to spend a little money on it should not have any bearing. From the pix, it looks like something you'd be proud to show off in your home.  Don