Author Topic: GE antique chandelier  (Read 1643 times)

buddhapi

• View Profile
GE antique chandelier
« on: July 03, 2008, 10:51:21 pm »
I just bought this old house a while back, with this really cool looking hanging light fixture. the fixture hangs down by 3 or 4 chains, off from like an upside-down dome that mounts to the ceiling. it has a 12-14 inch bulb/bowl which hangs down in the center of it, and 4 light bulb holders which hang down outside of that. each of the 4 bulb holders has it's own switch to turn the individual lights off, by what looks like leaf ornament.  I took pictures of it, but haven't downloaded to my computer yet. I'd say this piece is all brass. the original part house that this fixture hung in, was built around 1900, but I'm sure they didn't have electricity until the 20's. I'm maybe asking for too much info here without actually posting a picture. is there any special website where I may be able to find more photos or history of my find? I say this is a GE fixture because the 4 little black switches have GE on them.  ???

cogar

• View Profile
Re: GE antique chandelier
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 04:12:56 am »
GE may have made the switches but I doubt they made the fixture itself.

railman44

• View Profile
Re: GE antique chandelier
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 05:16:29 pm »
I would say with certainty GE didn't make the fixture.  Go to eBay and type in "chandelier" under collectables and then antiques and see what comes up.  Chances are excellent in time you will find a fixture that compares to yours.  Be sure to check out 'completed sales' too.  That way you can get an idea of what kind of money one like yours goes for.  Be aware that fixtures that are signed and/or have special glass command premium prices usually depending upon the glass and signature.  EBay is a great educational source I've found.