Author Topic: Im new to this antique site and have a question...  (Read 1756 times)

AntiqueLetterClips

• View Profile
Im new to this antique site and have a question...
« on: July 08, 2008, 02:06:34 pm »
I have about 125-175 antique letter clips dating back from the 1800's.  I have been collecting these letter clips for over 45 years now. 
The time is coming for me to have to sell these items and be done with my collection.  The value is pretty high and I think I'm going to be willing to let them go for around $50,000 or negotiable.  I want to sell them all in one lump sum and not individually.

I have found some people here and there, but they want to low ball tremendously in order to make back profit.  I want to sell to someone who has a passion for collecting letter clips.

I was looking into ebay, but i am not sure if that is the spot for me to list this type of item or if i would even make my request on ebay.

Is there a special forum or site out there for me to go  too, in order to find this type of buyer?  Does anyone have any recommendations or helpful hints for me to find this kind of person?
I

Thanks.

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Im new to this antique site and have a question...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 02:53:26 pm »
For that kind of money you maybe should contact a NY auction house.

Such as....

http://www.sothebys.com/

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 04:00:50 am »
I agree with Cogar but I don't know if or what the auction houses would charge for your listing.  If you're looking for a quick sale and have set your price at what they are actually worth (to you), you may have a lengthly wait especially in today's economy.  To test the waters, you can always list your collection on eBay with a 'reserve' selling price.  It will cost you some dollars up front but at least you'll know if any of the millions that frequent eBay are interested.  You can also Google and see if you can find some websites regarding people who collect those clips.  Many websites let members post items for sale free of charge.  Personally, I think your going to have a long wait if you won't piece the collection out.  You're not only looking for a person who has a passion for clips but someone with 50K. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:02:34 am by railman44 »

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 09:34:47 pm »
....and that's pretty much the truth of it. You obviously have a nice collection but it will be very difficult to fine someone willing to pay what you think they are worth. eBay is still the avenue for selling but it will not garner what your expecting. eBay is turning into a lowball buying avenue.

Your best bet (as stated) is to contact the better auction houses. Sotheby's, Christie's, Leslie Hindman's and others. I have had good correspondence with Christie's and Hindman's. There are many other auction houses. Do your homework and perhaps one will be highly interested in your collection.