Author Topic: Prudent Mallard bed?  (Read 7040 times)

Falcon75

• View Profile
Prudent Mallard bed?
« on: July 11, 2008, 09:52:31 am »
Can anyone help me indentify this bed?  My wife and I bought it from and antique dealer in Montgomery, Alabama, in 1975.  After unsuccessfully trying to buy it back from us at double the purchase price, the dealer indicated it was circa mid-19th century from the shop of Prudent Mallard in New Orleans.  Our internet investigation shows that there are some strong similarities between this bed and others attributed to Mallard.  But we are looking for assistance with identification and/or confirmation.  Thanks!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Prudent Mallard bed?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 08:27:02 am »
To clear up the mystery. prudent mallard was a french man that left new york' appeared in new orlean's in 1834. even tho his name tag's, often appear on his furniture.

the crafteing was done by. charles lee. who worked from 1856 to 1868. of which you might find his name on the side rails.

He lived in manchester massachusetts. it would appear to be a prudent mallard. american rococo in style. $3,500.00 to $4,000.00 dollars.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 11:29:02 am »
oop's got to make some date correction's. C.lee was working from.1817 too 1889. prudent mallard bankrupt in 1855

Falcon75

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:05:31 am »
Thanks so much for your quick response.  My wife and I have always taken great pride in the bed and we plan for it to be in our family for years and years to come. From a sentimental point of view, we have rightfully regarded it as our most valuable piece of furniture and its monetary value isn't particularly important to us.  But the information you have so graciously provided only increases our appreciation.  I am certainly interested to learn more about Charles Lee, Prudent Mallard and the entire subject of 19th century furniture in New Orleans. 

Once again, I deeply appreciate your willingness to assist us!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:37:51 am »
You' are certainly welcome. thru time or misunderstanding. prudent became " prudence'' implying the furniture was mfg by a women.
old new orlean's record indicate he was a purveyor of good's some of his furniture was imported from franc