Author Topic: a rare book  (Read 2938 times)

notaclue

• View Profile
a rare book
« on: July 17, 2008, 06:28:58 am »
I have a book that is of Botanical Plant impressions. The inside cover says Martha Wood Book of Botanical Plants Impressed by John Wood, Missouri, Springfield Greene county. September 14th 1858.Present from her father James Wood. There is also a clipping of a poem titled Twelve Months Ago, Some of the names of the plants are wrote on paper that has a pressed seal that says Parsons Paper co. but the only thing I can find on Parson Paper dates back only to the 1930's. The inscription is done in quill. There is also a piece of carbon paper with the leaf impressions on it. There are also a total of 413 impressions accounted for. I do not have a clue where this book came from only that it has been in my family for years. I would appreciate any ideas on where I may get it appraised.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: a rare book
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:29:23 am »
parson's paper co. started in 1853. best bet is book store who deal's in rare book's.

notaclue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 07:44:38 am »
Thank You!  I feel so silly!  Right after I had posted this I found the same information on the web about Parson's Paper Company.   I had been looking for the answer for what has seemed like forever.  Thank you for your reply I really appreciate your help.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »
you might take a look at greene county history.there is a family that arrived there in 1845. by the same name.

notaclue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 03:57:43 am »
 I have done a little digging here on the web and have even posted the same information that I posted on this site on a couple of genealogy message boards.  I have never been contacted by any of these families.  In my own research I have found that I have some surnames in common with the Wood family and quite a lot of the same locations including several of the states and towns that they mention but no one that I talk to in my immediate family seems to know where or how we are related.  I have even discovered that most of my ancestors are buried in Wood's Chapel cemetery.  This could be just be a coincidence but.....  I guess I will keep on the trail.  It has been several years since I last posted the messages on genealogy sites maybe I should try again.  I am really amazed with the detail and time that I know must have went into making this book. It really is unique and even has a few of the original plants tucked in it. The clipping of poem inside is also a big mystery to me.  I have searched and searched for it on line but have yet to find any mention of it anywhere. The initials of the poet are H.G.C. and at the bottom of the clipping is printed "Cincinnati Dec. 9Th, 1848.  I have tried finding old newspaper archives and have not had any luck.  I thought maybe it would lead me somewhere (sigh) but once again here I sit.  I have no idea where to take this book and  have it looked at.   There are really no rare book dealers in my area.  I have thought about taking a trip to Springfield and see if there is anyone there that could assist me. Do you think this is a good idea?  Do you have any other suggestion that I may be able to use?  I am on a mission and just know that maybe eventually I will get an answer. (maybe) Well I have rattled on and on.  Thank you once again for all your help! Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

notaclue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 04:43:13 am »
 Here is a copy of the poem if you are interested in having a look at it.  I am not certain but think it is about the Mexican War???  mmmmm???  I have found a couple of places on the web were it list the name Wood and their service in the Mexican War but once again I do not have a way of knowing if they are indeed the same.

notaclue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 07:58:44 am »
Here are a few pictures of the book. 

notaclue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 08:06:12 am »
next pic

notaclue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 10:28:34 am »
here is the carbon paper and parsons paper

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 01:28:31 pm »
The poem should remain with the book. the victorians were known for writeing poetry & attaching it to a book. you' have some excellent scan's. you might try e-mailing some photo's to some of the rare book stores on line.

no reason to sell.if value is low. I'am sure it's going to connect too your family.