Author Topic: Old Curiosity Shop by Dickens  (Read 1449 times)

Christel219

• View Profile
Old Curiosity Shop by Dickens
« on: August 02, 2008, 09:54:45 pm »
Found an old book at a garage sale today and of course HAD to buy it. I have been collecting old books for a while now, but this one looks the oldest though its hard to know.

NO where in it can I find a copyright year.

Says it is Aldine Edition (this appears in a shield type thing on the spine) also says Frank F. Lovel & Co.

On the cover there appears to be a book with no title with wings and under that image in ribbon type things it says "I * LIBER * AT"  then on opposite side says "QUE *DOCE"

If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Not necessarily with how much it is worth (probably a couple of bucks maybe if I am lucky) but with at least the year it is from??? This book is falling apart and it makes me sad :( the pages are literally just flaking to pieces.

Christel219

• View Profile
Re: Old Curiosity Shop by Dickens
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 09:57:19 pm »
I just found this.. and it states that he was in the US in the late 1800s then went to London.

http://sdrc.lib.uiowa.edu/lucile/publishers/lovellff/Lovellff.htm

The book on there has a cover just like the book I have except for the title and color is brown (which could be time aged)

Skinny

• View Profile
Re: Old Curiosity Shop by Dickens
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 03:31:44 pm »
Judging from your description I would date the book somewhere between 1880 and 1895. Mid to late 1800's would be the most likely. Would I be correct in saying the paper in the book is somewhat yellowed and brittle? That's another characteristic of mass produced books from that time.