Author Topic: Need help identifing this antique cabinet. A lot of lookers but no responders??  (Read 6528 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
I agree tales! What do you think is the purpose of the bottom coming out though? Hiding something?

mariok54

• View Profile
Just read your piece on the Word Document... Could you elaborate on:

In the bottom you can see two squares that can be removed.  This looks original to the piece.  It also has two cut out under the top.  The top is secure to the piece.

What is beneath the two panels? Is there a void?

Lindakeith

• View Profile
You may be just that.  It does have a lock at the top.

mariok54

• View Profile
I was looking for keyholes, saw those two 'marks' either side of the lions head, about eye-brow level, but didn't think they were keyholes. I think I can see where the lock is when it is closed, but where are the keyholes? 

waywardangler

Is this lock a ball detent or spring lock so when you push on a door it opens?  I do not see any door handles to open it otherwise.  It also appears to be veneer on the two curved molded doors.  Nice piece of furniture but no idea what it's original purpose was for.  Hosman might be right with the umbrellla/wet coat idea.  Those two bottom covers must have a reason.

hosman321

• View Profile
It does seem more like a liquor cabinet with the lock and missing shelves inside but I still don't get the top coming off and the bottom too. Maybe you put the umbrellas in with the handles coming out of the top, so you could grab it on the way out the door? ??? Maybe it's a multi-purpose cabinet. :)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
K, I'm gonna run with my imagination here (cause I got nothin')  ....... wonder if those 'holes' when uncovered, held square pans filled with ice to keep the booze cool?? :D

Oceans64

• View Profile
Along the imagination line...  I was thinking prohibition!!   :o :D ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

hosman321

• View Profile
Good idea sapphire! Like an icebox. I was thinking about prohibition, too. But I couldn't think of what it had to do with it, except hiding booze under the bottom. ??? Still doesn't explain the top removing...
Oh wait, the top pieces don't remove, they are just cut outs. More pics would be great!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 06:09:36 pm by hosman321 »

waywardangler

OK, so as long as we are letting our imaginations run wild...how about the two pans holding water (instead of ice) to humidify the interior to keep the gentleman's cigars and tobacco moist?   ;D If it were a booze cooler, I would think it would be lined with metal and if it were a humidor, I also think it would be lined with metal.

Oceans64

• View Profile
I'm liking liquor cabinet (possibly with a prohibition twist):

http://vandm.com/1920_s-Prohibition-Bar-Cabinet/1_266_product=166247.aspx

Would explain the wood on the doors...  I have seen 2 so far tho I think they are bigger and 2 levels....  Will keep looking as life allows  :)
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I like this piece.  Looks very 1800's to very early 1900's in the "bow front" design.

I have quite a few pieces (French made) that when the key is inserted into the key hole, the key acts as the handle to open and close the piece....so it isn't uncommon to see this in 1800's to early 1900's pieces foreign and American made.

What are the exact dimensions of the piece? AND what are the measurements between the slots for shelves inside?  
LindaKeith, can you please take a pic of the back of the piece as well.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:44:41 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
I see that I made the 1st post in response but then I musta missed her “Edit post” to add the pictures.

That is a beauty and I would say mid to late 1800's.

It is "Tiger" oak veneer or quarter sawn oak veneer, which gets its name from the "stripes" of the woodgrain. Same as "Tiger" maple.

It could be a hall cupboard or commode.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
English Victorian cabinet, guesses last quarter 19th century because of the "NorthWinds" carving between the doors, a popular carving in late victorian furniture.

mariok54

• View Profile
I could be wrong, and I'm always keen to learn, but are not North Wind carvings always of a male? This does look pretty much like a lion, and the paws down below seem to support that, do you agree?