Author Topic: Need help identifing this antique cabinet. A lot of lookers but no responders??  (Read 6533 times)

Lindakeith

• View Profile
I just got my first antique.  Is it a real antique?  I think it is beautiful but know nothing about it.  If anyone can share what they may know about it I would appreciate it.  I think they call it tiger wood.  What really does that mean?  What type of wood is it?  What was its original purposes?  Not that I care but has it been altered?  I have attached two pictures.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:56:33 am by Lindakeith »

cogar

• View Profile
Can't you post a picture on here.

Downloading over a megabyte on dial-up takes too long.

hosman321

• View Profile
I noticed lindakeith online today and this was their only post. It never got a response! Can we help them?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
How did we miss this one? It's a beauty! Lindakieth it does not look like a reproduction, I don't think you need to worry about that, but I'll let the others who know more about furniture say more.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
It was two years ago, I don't think we were even here yet tales. ;) Just thought it would be nice.

Lindakeith

• View Profile
How nice of you to look at my cabinet.  I read the post every day and just thought it was a mystery yet to be solved.

hosman321

• View Profile
It sure is beautiful, I love it! Hopefully we can get you a little more info about it, if you still need some info. To me, it looks like it was made right around 1890-1910-ish. But it may be older, I'm no expert. It doesn't look much newer than 1910. It's very handsome! Do you collect antiques now or is this still your only piece?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 02:11:11 pm by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
And tales, what do you think it's original purpose was? ???
At first I thought it was a wardrobe, some big huge piece of furniture. But then I saw the house door handle and realized it's not that big at all. Is it just simply a cabinet?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 02:11:29 pm by hosman321 »

Lindakeith

• View Profile
Also if you look at the bottom it has a board that is framed and one could take it out. 

mariok54

• View Profile
I had the very same first impression, that it was larger than it actually is... but not quite wardrobe size, and then I too saw the door knob... It is really a very petite piece, almost too small for a drinks cabinet I'd have thought.... and I do like the double bow-front.
The style could be 1920's, but the feet??  It could be quite a bit older....
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 02:18:30 pm by mariok54 »

hosman321

• View Profile
I did not notice that lindakeith! Very cool. Maybe for wet umbrellas? Wet Coats? It would be great if you could take a pic with the bottom out but if it's too much of a hassle then don't worry about it. :)

Yeah, could be 20's. But not quite sure...

hosman321

• View Profile
By the way, is the proper term for the wood quarter sawn oak? Or is it tiger oak? Is there a difference?
http://barnyardgazette.blogspot.com/2007/09/what-is-quarter-sawn-oak.html

Lindakeith

• View Profile
I'll get a few more pics of it.  I would like a bit more of a story than I got it an an estate sale.  I paid under $100.00.  Based on what you see do you think that was a fair price. 

hosman321

• View Profile
Most defnitely a fair price! Great Job! It's gotta be worth at least a few hundred. At least that's what I'd pay. I'll go searching to see if I can find anything similar. Also, see if you can see any markings at all including stickers, tags or impressions in the wood. Sometimes they are well hidden.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
That's a very good price! It's lovely! With its petite size, my best guess so far is that perhaps it was a liquor cabinet. I'm finding some similar liquor cabinets but nothing quite like this one. The solid doors hiding the contents from view is what makes me think this. It's for something not to be displayed. I kinda like the idea of the roaring lion warning everyone to keep their grubby paws off o' Pa's hootch!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery