Author Topic: press back chairs  (Read 2288 times)

Carlotta

• View Profile
press back chairs
« on: October 30, 2008, 02:59:09 pm »
I have five press back chairs, one time they were painted (by me) then dipped to clean about 20 years ago....they are all different ...some taller..this is my favorite..do they have any value if I were to try to sell them?  I will try to post two, one close up of my favorite and another full image..thanks, again Carlotta

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: press back chairs
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 06:46:30 am »
I would be asking $50.00 Dollars apiece. but they can be found selling at $25.00 Dollars apiece.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 05:13:34 am »
And don't forget, if one has 5 such chairs to sell, they command a higher price each ......... than if one only has 1 such chair to sell.

Period tables are quite easy to find ...... as compared to 4, 5 or 6 matching period chairs. Matching "pressback designs" is nice and commands a higher price but it is not really that important if one needs 4 chairs for their table. 

I remember an auction where they offered 4 such chairs for sale, and the auctioneer said "Bid on 1 and take as many as you want for the same price".

Some fellow got the winning bid at a rather high price, ...... but he only took 1 chair. They repeated the bidding for the remaining 3 chairs and the same fellow got all 3 of them for about 1/2 of what he paid for the 1st one.

That auctioneer learned a lesson that day. ;) ;)

Carlotta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 02:35:45 pm »
That's a good story.

I have 5 chairs...not all the same...the close up I know is called Burning Bush, two of the five are of the same design (not sure of the name)...They always looked nice being different and sit at an old round oak table.   Since we moved the space is telling me we need something less intricate in design.  I am very new at the idea of selling anything, so have to figure out how to do this...
Thanks for all the info...Carlotta (in Canada)

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 03:05:23 pm »
Carllota 50Years is and accepted practice in canada for antiques as where a 100 years is accepted inthe u.s.that's and internal revenue service law.

Carlotta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 03:50:18 pm »
D&B..this is very intersting informaton.  I grew up in the U.S.A. and always thought 100 years was the timeline...Then I heard 50...so it must be that I heard 50 up here...Now I will try to find more out about the actual dates of some of my things.....I have no idea about the chairs....as I bought them at the Salvation Army in 1968...thanks..Carl otta