Author Topic: Please Help Identify this hardware  (Read 2219 times)

stoneman

• View Profile
Please Help Identify this hardware
« on: November 15, 2008, 10:02:44 am »
Found this piece of hardware in grandfathers  attic, I think it gets mounted to a door, not sure though, is there anyone that can help me identify what this piece is for, the lever does move and it seems to me it is made out of brass.

bbfrend

• View Profile
Re: Please Help Identify this hardware
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 01:27:35 pm »
It looks like the pendulum in one of my old clocks, although my pendulum is solid on the back.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 02:23:07 pm »
It appears to be a bell ringer for a door.  The bell was on the interior of the door mounted and what you have was mounted on the exterior of the door.  I've never seen one quite like that one.  It would be interesting if you found the rest of it.  That's my best guess.

coachgary

• View Profile
    • Coach Gary's Resource Center for Personal Propert Appraisers & Antique Dealers
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:19:05 pm »
It appears to be a bell ringer for a door.  The bell was on the interior of the door mounted and what you have was mounted on the exterior of the door.  I've never seen one quite like that one.  It would be interesting if you found the rest of it.  That's my best guess.

You are correct  that is what it is... I have found one at http://www.b-c-e.biz/products.asp?whichpage=3&pagesize=1&sqlQuery=SELECT+%2A+FROM+products+WHERE+CatID+%3D+108+AND+SubCatID+%3D+254+AND+StockQty+%3E%3D+1+AND+Status+%3D+%27Yes%27+ORDER+BY+SortOrder%2C+Name%3B&Cat=Original+Antique+Architectural+Window+locks+%26+lifts+Rosettes%2C+%26+Key+Holes%2C+Door+Bells&SubCat=Antique+Mechanical+Door+Bell%27%27s+and+Parts

t
Gary Daw
AKA CoachGary
www.coachgary.com
Resource Center for Personal Property Appraisers & Antique Dealers

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 07:55:19 am »
Looking at the bottom of that again, I'm having my doubts as to it being part of a doorbell system. 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 02:58:27 am »

I do not see any way to attach it other than the 4 holes in the back plate, …. which implies the back plate was removed for installation and re-affixed to hold the mechanism in place.

It appears the handle can only be moved less than half a turn (it can’t be turned full circle) …….. and it is aligned with the projection (arm) on the shaft which may or may not be significant.

Given said, I have decided it could be or probably is .... a door-bell or a servant-bell because in the old days, there were all sorts of things that were used to "call a maid or butler" or to make one's presence at the front/back door known and such a mechanism would work just fine for doing said.

With a "ding-a-ling" bell in the kitchen, maid's quarters, etc., .... attached via a wire or cord to the "arm" of your mechanism, then a slight movement of the handle would ... ding-a-ling-a-ling-a-ling that bell where ever it was.

cheers