Author Topic: HEXAGON SEWING BOX  (Read 1364 times)

Cholly

• View Profile
HEXAGON SEWING BOX
« on: November 21, 2008, 11:26:45 am »
While visiting an antique store in Alabama last week I saw what the proprietor called a "sewing box." The box itself was perhaps 14 - 16 inches diameter and 4 - 6 inches deep, with trapezoid shaped hinged lids for each section of the box.  The box had either six or eight sides and each side represented a section of the box. The box was on a pedestal and the total height was perhaps 3 feet.  I failed to buy it that day and when I called back it had already been sold and the proprietor knew of none other like it.  Any help locating this items would make my wife a happy person on Christmas morning - and that in turn would benefit ME.  Thanks!!!

Tim

• View Profile
Re: HEXAGON SEWING BOX
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 06:11:18 pm »
Your best search now would be eBay. You can also post it to eBays "want" listings. 8)

restorian

• View Profile
    • Cornwall Furniture Restoration
Re: HEXAGON SEWING BOX
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 11:04:37 am »
Hi Cholly. It sounds like the one on this page about half way down http://www.cornwallfurniturerestoration.co.uk/new_page_5.htm  Although this table has achessboard top, it is known as a work/sewing tablw. This type of table was made in the late eighteen hundreds and is probably english. You can buy them quite easily in the UK but most of them require repolishing and the interior redoing if bought in the rough. They can be purchased at antique fairs in the uk and would range from about £400 - £600 in good condition. Hope this helps.