Author Topic: Can anyone tell me if this is a hurricane candle holder?  (Read 2543 times)

cjem4

• View Profile
Can anyone tell me if this is a hurricane candle holder?
« on: December 26, 2008, 08:48:36 pm »
I bought a few of these awhile back and have yet to find out exactly what they are called, besides "candle holders". I can not seem to find the type of glass that the globe is made of either.
Any help is appreciated.

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone tell me if this is a hurricane candle holder?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 09:35:19 pm »
They look commercial and made for the bar or restaurant business to me.  I have no idea if they're a "hurricane" candle holder.

cjem4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 08:12:00 am »
Thank you. The only thing I was told when I purchased them from a man at a sale was , he remembered his parents using them on the patio while they were living in Hawaii. I asumed they were a military family and were stationed there from our conversation. I may never find out exactly what they are called, but I bought them because they were different from any candle holders that I had ever seen.
Thank you again.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 08:48:19 am »
they are done in the Hurricane candle style

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 12:34:29 pm »
That doesn't appear to be a candle but some refillable type?  Any markings on it?  Seen items similar to this in FL & CA in the 60's and were used on the patios.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cjem4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 01:59:51 pm »
Look at the top of the cylinder center piece (2nd picture) and you might can see the wick and what appears to be a piece of a candle. I purchased them in FL. so maybe that is what they used them for. I just don't know what to search under to try and find out what they are called. No markings that I can see, none at all. That has thrown me off too.
I have quite a few things that I have aquired over the years and do not know what they are called or if they are collectables. But I wanted to know about these candle holders (for lack of a better term)  :)
Thank you.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »
Wish I could tell you more.  My grandmother was in the garden club in FL and they used candle lanterns similar these in patio arrangement competitions...that is why I knew FL in the 60's.  Her sis in CA did the same!  I will continue to try and help figure this out!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cjem4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 04:03:04 pm »
KC:
Thank you very much. I have 2 green (like the picture) 1 red and 1 a burnt orange color.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 02:42:07 am »
If they were being used on porches and patios then they were probably citronella candles.  Used not for the light but to keep the bugs and insects away.