Author Topic: Brass Bell (steam oper. maybe from trains?)  (Read 1751 times)

robigirl015

• View Profile
Brass Bell (steam oper. maybe from trains?)
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:50:24 pm »
I have a cpl of pics of a brass bell that a friend of mine has and have been trying to find some info. on it for what seems like forever.  Realizing that 'cleaning it up' probably dropped it's $ value, however there was ALOT of tarnish, paint, etc on it so we felt the need to get under all that to find out if there was any characteristics to help Id it's origin.  What we did find was the following:  Lettering of  "Graham / White"   also  "HTM 1508" ,  it's approx. 14" in height  by 1' width  ,  the bell itself is stationary on a steel (?) plate w/ a hollow type of bolt running down into the bell where it reaches the arm of the ' gong (?) thing ',  and that the ' gong ' only swings in 1 dir. having contact w/ the bell in 1 area.   Sorry if the pics that I've posted w/ this make it hard to see any special features that we were unaware of due to being to dark / just starting the process of cleaning it up.  As you can see the 2 of us had many hrs. & hands full of work to do. 
Anyways, if there's any info. that somebody can give / dir. us too we would so much appreciate it.
Thank - You for your time,
 Robigirl015

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Brass Bell (steam oper. maybe from trains?)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 02:20:23 pm »
What you have is a diesel railroad locomotive air operated bell.  They are available in steel or brass.  Yours is brass which is more desirable.  Values run between $350 to $600.  Polishing the bell actually helps in the sale.  They appear on eBay from time to time.