Author Topic: extra pic of the unknown item  (Read 4366 times)

leigh

• View Profile
extra pic of the unknown item
« on: January 14, 2009, 03:23:37 pm »
sorry didn't know how to post more pics ::)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: extra pic of the unknown item
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 06:43:35 pm »
Can you repost the mark on the back and/or tell us what it says.  Thanks!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 09:52:37 pm »
this is where it says Ucacco(i think) and also made in occupied Japan with the emblem of a circle and a U inside the circle also the U is coming out of the top and the bottom of the circle, kinda just looks like it is stuck down inside the circle, I have to take another picture and try to get it to focus better to repost another pic of the bottom

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 12:19:50 am »
Found your Mark and it is for UCAGCO, "Occupied Japan".  All items with your particular mark were made for import into the US during 1945 - 1952.

UCAGCO actually means United China and Glass Company which was originally called the Abe Mayer Company (founded 1850 and strictly an import company) with the US offices located in New Orleans and New York. In the 30s the company started the official trademark "UCAGCO" - becoming a prominent distributor of dinnerware, glassware and Japanese china during the early 1950's. UCAGCO was sold to Sammons Enterprises in 1956.

For those that don't know....following the end of WW II while Japan was occupied by US Troops, (1945 - 1952), import items to the US from Japan had to be marked indicating they came from Occupied Japan (although required - many items slipped through and some said "Japan" "Made In Japan")  "Occupied Japan" and "Made In Occupied Japan". were put on items such as toys, pottery, glassware, china, etc.  Collectors search for these items, especially those with the Occupied Japan and Made in Occupied Japan marks.

Still working on what your item is!  Maybe a fancy candy dish?  What do you think D&b?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:11:30 am »
could be a candy dish i guess, we couldn't figure out what the little holes in the flowers would be used for, i kind of thought maybe some type of small candles.not very big though, have to re measure to be exact but i am guess it is only about 6"x6"in diameter.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 08:29:52 am »
You have too ask.what were they thinking? I agree it's a mint or candy dish. but you will find those tube's that are on the handle. on there ashtray's. they were used as ciggerrett snuffers.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 08:52:38 am »
Cigarette Holder............. ........ 8) I have seen them as whimsical animals, etc. this appears to be more 'lady like', perhaps at a social.

leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 08:56:34 am »
WOW! never thought of an ashtray, looks to nice for that really lol,any idea on the dates of this item or value? Ya'll are so helpful, I love it!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 11:36:47 am »
it's likely to be as early as 1950. as tim mentioned the ''tube's'' can be found on many of there whimsey's. I personally do not believe the ''tube's'' were added to the ash trays. for snuffers there would be no point.

Reference. collecters Guide to. made in japan.book IV author carole bess white. who am I to argue? she wrote the book.

leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:33:54 pm »
It definately makes for a great conversation piece, everyone trying to figure out what it is, we have had some fun with this at home. Never thought of an ashtray...just seems to detailed and pretty for that(to me anyway). The tubes don't look big enough for a snuffer(lol)and there is gold trim around the tubes edges. I really appreciate all the info ya'll have given me on my items. Alot more than I knew in the beginning.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 10:24:57 am »
D&B is correct. It is a "cigarette holder and ashtray" and the tubes were made just to hold cigarettes for when one wanted to have a smoke.

I have one that has 3 piggys holding musical instruments on the back side and with 2 "holders" on each the left & right side that are made into the base of the ashtray. It is 4 1/2" by 3 1/2" and also "Made in Japan".

The Barbara Ifert book, "Made in Japan Ceramics - 1921-1941" pictures 2 similar types, one with a cat and 3 "holders" on each side, the other with a "long" dog with 4 "holders" holes across the top of its back.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 11:42:23 am »
I agree...it is an ashtray (but you could use it as a candy dish if you want to---we won't tell!  You could even put toothpicks in them! Ha!)

I saw 2 elephant cigarette holders this week that had the "tubular towers".  Sorry, I didn't agree with them being used to snuff out cigarettes...the heat would eventually wear off the gilding. Another "History Mystery" solved!

leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 01:01:35 pm »
okay then....we have an ashtray lol, thanks so much to you all!!! I have told my friends of this great place to find answers to their antique questions, alot more views and questions for this site, once again...thanks so much