Author Topic: antique mission library desk  (Read 9290 times)

dingo8yababe

• View Profile
antique mission library desk
« on: January 31, 2009, 11:49:17 am »
i purchased this desk from a very old friend, for he felt the desk was quite valuable...not being all that familiar w/antiques, i was hoping someone might be able to enlighten me as to its worth. 

it's quarter sawn tiger oak, very popular during the art's & craft's movement, according to one reply.

tks!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 04:59:02 pm by dingo8yababe »

railman44

• View Profile
Re: need value to sell asap-antique mission writing desk
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:53:49 pm »
It appears to be a fancy 'Mission Oak' library desk in need of some TLC.  It needs to be reglued.  Value depends upon who made it.  Check it closely for any signature from a maker.  Stickley is the prize name everyone looks for but there's others that are valuable too.  Most mission furniture will have no name attached.  Lots of people made 'Mission Oak' furniture back then because it was very popular.  Do not refinish it.  Unnamed and properly reglued it would probably bring around $500.   

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 01:12:46 pm »
I will add to that.it's quarter sawn tiger oak' very popular dureing the art's& craft's movement.

dingo8yababe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 02:16:28 pm »
thank you both for your input.  what time period was the 'arts and crafts' period?  what part of the desk
needs to be glued?  what product can i use on it to clean it up?  is old english ok?

Tim

• View Profile
Re: need value to sell asap-antique mission library desk
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 02:40:54 pm »
Looks like the left drawer area is separating from the top, but any area that is loose in the joints should be reglued. There are many recipe’s for what should and should not be done to the finish. Many factors to consider like rarity, age, what kind of finish it now has, etc.

If this were mine, I would clean re-glue the joints………clean it with rags and turpentine to remove the dirt and grime, then rub it down with tung oil diluted ˝ turpentine and ˝ oil and perhaps more than one coat……………….Come back in about 24 hours and go over it again with dry, clean cotton rags. You will have restored the original finish which appears to be oil.

Arts and Craft Movement was from about 1870-1920 in the US. I’d say your oak Mission style table is right about 1900-1910. Nice table and I also think about $500 is about right.

dingo8yababe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 02:50:42 pm »
great!  tks so much for helping.

dingo8yababe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 02:56:58 pm »
sorry, for being such a novice...feel like i'm in 'antiques for dummies', but do i dilute the tung oil w/ water?  if so what are the parts for each?  is an elmers wood glue ok?  tks again!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 03:34:38 pm »
Unless you have the proper clamps and experience in their use, I wouldn't attempt to reglue it myself.  Elmer's wood glue is fine. 

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 04:08:49 pm »
Yes! I forget that not everyone has a garage full of woodworking clamps. It needs to be properly clamped. Any good wood glue (Elmer's included) is fine. If you don't properly clamp it the 1st time it will make a whole lot more work out of the project.

Dilute the oil with the turpentine. 1/2&1/2 or thereabouts. You can use less turpentine if you end up doing a 2nd or 3rd coat. Just depends on how the mixture is absorbing into the oak grain.

Elbow grease....lots of elbow grease........... :D

dingo8yababe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 04:20:23 pm »
tks again...i think the desk will improve greatly w/a good cleaning. 

dingo8yababe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 04:34:37 pm »
i have a chair that goes w/the desk...what added value could i expect, if any?  you probably need
a pix, but i'm not sure if chairs for this desk are of one type.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: antique mission library desk
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 05:46:28 pm »
I would like to see a picture of the chair. not with standing it may not be a mate.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 07:42:34 am »
Dingo, about glueing those "loose joints" they are often quite tricky and messsy to do, so another trick is to find yourself an Insulin or "hypodermic needle" and fill it with the glue ...... and said glue can then be "injected" into the separation or crack. Use a "water based" glue such a Elmer's and thin it down with a bit of water so that it can be "forced" through the needle ...... and the needle, plunger, etc. can easily be "washed out" after use and ready for the next job. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 09:22:35 am »
I just cringe to think of how many pieces have been "devalued" by poor restoration.

I do believe that if you have the right clamps/straps/materials and the patience to go slow and take the advice of the others, you can do a wonderful job on the desk.

You should try strapping/clamping the desk before you glue to make sure you can do it so that it is in "proper form" when completed. (Somthimes swelling of joints after being out of "place" occurs so that you can't possibly get them back in without minor alterations.)  Many times a simple mark on the straps and or pictures of where you place the clamps can help you to insure that you repeat it when the glue is in the joints.

Don't lose heart....everyone had to start to learn somewhere!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

dingo8yababe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 11:45:57 am »
thank you all for sharing your expertise!