Author Topic: Antique hand crafted Baby Craddle  (Read 5981 times)

kmw

• View Profile
Antique hand crafted Baby Craddle
« on: February 01, 2009, 08:04:25 pm »
My husband and I purchased this baby craddle but are not sure of its value. It is very unique. It is handmade with carved designs around the sides. It has a "lid" in side the craddle that opens up. Looks like maybe for storage or the baby could lay deeper in the craddle.  We were told it is from the 1850's to 1890's. It is very beautiful and well made. We could really use some help in determining the value and the actual age.  Has anyone seen anything like this piece?  KMW

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Antique hand crafted Baby Craddle
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 02:59:51 am »
KMW, very nice piece. To date your cradle, you have to date how it was constructed. How the wood was sawed, planed, mortised, etc. The thickness of the paneled sides, any variances in the shapes/sizes of the spindles, the carvings, etc. Said variances imply that each were "hand made" and not mechanically reproduced.

That was just a few "dating" hints but decided there are too many for me to easily explain, so, I found this for you, to wit:

http://www.journalofantiques.com/July02/businessjuly02.htm 

Or you can Google ..... dating old furniture ...... and find other web sites that explains the "dating" methods far better than I can.

After studying up on it a bit, then you should post specific questions if there is something that you don't understand about what you found.

cheers

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:25:50 am »
I concur with cogar.  While many pieces handmade in the early days were somewhat crude, some were produced by very competent craftsmen with high tolerences.  I would also be curious as to what type of wood(s) were used too.  The better quality the wood usually means a higher quality and more expensive piece back when.  Even if it's "machined" it can still be quite old.  It shows well and should be a fine addition to your motif.  Let us know what you do find.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 10:49:02 am »
Look's to be some hand carveing in the spindles. but I'am thinking later than 1890. any glue block's under neath?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 03:41:11 am »
I was curious about the side panels. If they were 3/4" or greater and how the tenon on their edges were cut.

Cut on an angle with a plane, cut with a tenon plane or cut with a saw.

kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:25:08 am »
From what I can tell it appears that they were carved by hand with a chisel of some sort. The whole bed appears to be cut by hand. I could not find any marking that looks like saw marks at all. I also could not find any nails either. Everything is grooved then glued together. Also, each spindle on top also appears to be cut by hand as well. None of them are cut exactly alike.  KMW

kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:28:14 am »
I really know nothing about woodworking or tools used in woodworking so it is hard for me to describe cuts and angles and such. KMW

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 01:12:12 pm »
the design is called ''spoon carveing'' may have been added later.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »
I am probably just adding to the mystery....but I can remember some furniture my uncle brought back from the Phillipines that had this style/look to it during the early 60's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 01:41:44 pm »
I do believe it is from before the 1900's. We were told by serveral Antique dealers that have been dealing with antiques for over 30 years that it is definately over 100 years old. I don't doubt that at all. I just wish I knew the actual age and value.  We are considering getting it appraised. KMW

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 02:38:55 pm »
I do believe this is back from the early 1900's as well....just saying the style of some pieces he brought back, which none of them were new pieces.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 03:05:18 pm »
I really appreciate all the imput on this. I am so intriqued with this piece and love the challenge of trying to find out about it.  I think it is very possible that it could be from the phillipines or maybe even Mexico or central america. What would be the best way to get it appraised?  My brother in law suggested an online appraisal but I'm thinking it would be better if someone actually looked at it. KMW

coachgary

• View Profile
    • Coach Gary's Resource Center for Personal Propert Appraisers & Antique Dealers
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 03:45:49 pm »
Let's help this lady out, she needs a price range. I my Mall that I have a  booth at I would price it  $495.00 and It would take a while to sale. What does everyone else think?  I know it's hard to value with photos, but that is all we have......

Coach Gary
Gary Daw
AKA CoachGary
www.coachgary.com
Resource Center for Personal Property Appraisers & Antique Dealers

coachgary

• View Profile
    • Coach Gary's Resource Center for Personal Propert Appraisers & Antique Dealers
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 04:05:37 pm »
Let's help this lady out, she needs a price range. I my Mall that I have a  booth at I would price it  $495.00 and It would take a while to sale. What does everyone else think?  I know it's hard to value with photos, but that is all we have......

Coach Gary

Let's change this to.......   At My  Mall, that I have a booth at, I would price it at $495.00 and It would take a while to sale at that price.

Sorry about the typo..... I was muli-tasking and writting at the same time.....  lol
Gary Daw
AKA CoachGary
www.coachgary.com
Resource Center for Personal Property Appraisers & Antique Dealers

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 06:24:18 pm »
It's a fair enough price with what we have to work with. can we get a photo of the bottom ? machine made I say yes after 1885 or so.